question

neilhunt avatar image
neilhunt asked

Cyrix ct-li

Has anyone used a Cyrix ct-li to connect a high-power 12V vehicle charging system with lead-acid batteries to a 400AH (non-Victron) battery system (Battleborn, 4x100AH parallel connected, built-in BMS)?

What prevents the 400AH of LIFePO4 batteries sucking down very high charge currents (perhaps 400A) and overloading the vehicle alternator (rated 250Apeak, but reports suggest better run at <150A for extended duration to avoid overheating).

What cuts off overcharging the LiFePO4 batteries?

Any better suggestions for charging the house batteries? The rest of the system is basically a Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 and downstream 12V and 120V loads.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerOrion DC-DC Converters not smartCyrix Battery CombinerSmart Battery Sensecampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @neilhunt, welcome to the Community!

The Cyrix-li-ct is not current-limiting, so you should probably not use it in your particular application.

I would advise that you instead use a DC-DC charger like the Orion-Tr Smart, as that will both limit the current drawn from the start battery (and through it, the alternator) as well as provide the intelligent multistage charge profile that is appropriate for your target battery bank.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neilhunt avatar image
neilhunt answered ·

Is there a version of the Orion-TR Smart that delivers more than 30A? I have a 250A alternator (150A continuous, perhaps), and 4kWh of batteries - I'd like to get at least 100 or 120A of charge.

What precautions do I need to take if I'm simultaneously charging from solar roof panels via an MPPT? I've read elsewhere that bulk charge current on each source should sum to less than the batteries can absorb, and I should set a voltage threshold difference so that float comes from solar panels as priority over alternator. Does that suffice?

2 |3000