question

adrianraus avatar image
adrianraus asked

Connecting a Generator Backup to automatically run when Battery falls < 30 %

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out the exact way to go for our off-grid cabin.
We are having an EasySolar System with 3kwh batteries and in case of no sun for 48h + we would like to have a generator that starts automatically and turns off as soon as let's say 70 % of energy is loaded.

EDIT: What small size generator would work with the Start/Stop Generator funciton of my Multi and how do I wire those?

As far I understood, I will need a generator with an e-start and the ATS function. (e.g. Hyundai HY6500SEi D)
Do I add a Victron Filax 2 in between my MultiPlus and the Generator? If yes, how do I setup everything?

Can someone please help me out or guide me, which way to read into as I do not really get it yet.

Thank You very much!

Multiplus-IIGeneratorEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @AdrianRaus

Just to kick you off, there's some basic stuff here.. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Automatic_Generator_start-stop/en/index-en.html

By the 'ATS' I take it to mean the Filax you mention. No, you won't need that, your Easy has a Multiplus aboard and you just wire the genset ac output to ACIN. It has it's own transfer switch and indeed a MEN link aboard (selectable).

At the generator end you should probably talk with the expert at a local genny shop to find out what's available with elec start models, either inclusive or modular addons.

There's a bit more to it than this of course, but it gets more logical once you get your head around how it works. Keep asking though as you progress.

That said, I prefer the start key. Just me, and my maintenance/fuelling habits.. :)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adrianraus avatar image adrianraus commented ·
Hey John,

thanks for the quick reply.

Seems like I really need to find a local shop and see, if someone knows how to hook it up AND which model would work with this so I could use the Automatic Start Stop by the Multiplus!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ adrianraus commented ·
@AdrianRaus

I note you don't have a lot of battery, and your edit mentions a 'small' genset, fair enough.

You may not see a lot of choice for both small and elec start units. And you may have a budget too.

You don't mention what size Easy you have nor what V you're using nor battery type. But I'd size the genset to be easily capable of handling the max charge current of the Easy. The input can be limited if you have loads on as well, but that's a start point.

Choosing a genset may be the toughest decision you'd ever make with your system. And the odds are you'll get it wrong. Take your time with this..

0 Likes 0 ·