question

philippe avatar image
philippe asked

VE.Bus System [261] - Low battery: Warning but does not find the reason

Hi

I switched over to ESS today and get flooded with Low Battery alarm even when I have charged it to 100% this afternoon.

Main components:

• Smartlithium 160AH - Fw v1.06
  • BMV-712 - Fw v4.08
  • SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 - Fw v1.59
  • Multiplus Compact 12/800/35 - Fw 489
  • Venus GX - Fw v2.80~24

Log:

screenshot-2021-11-05-at-205838.pngscreenshot-2021-11-05-at-211231.png

Based on another post to lower the DC low input but it is already low enough. Below teh configuration file.

1636147267426.png1636142950244.png

So no idea where I can still check it or what can be the issue.

multiplus ve.buslow battery warning
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks like it's coming from the multiplus. You need to check the settings there. With the 712 in the system, you can probably disable the battery monitor in the multiplus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As far as I know with the ESS assistant the lowbl battery warning is based on the dynamic cut-off voltage + voltage it has to rise after cut-off.

In your case 13V + 0.3V at low current. That is just about the normal idle voltage of a lithium battery.

You have to lower that values. The BMS will cut off at 2,8V at one cell -> 2,8 x 4 = 11,2V. I would recommend to set all voltages to 11,5V. If you don't want to discharge the battery that much you then can set a higher SOC limit in the ESS menu in the GX device.

The voltages set in the ESS assistant only apply in case of a grid failure. As long as the grid is available the system will work with the SOC limit.

2 comments
2 |3000

philippe avatar image philippe commented ·

Hi Matthias. Thanks Just curious why victron put this dynamic cut-off for LiFePO4 so high.I had just left it by default. I will change it when I have a Windows available :)

0 Likes 0 ·
philippe avatar image philippe commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE Thanks. I have changed as suggested. This went fine for this night, but this morning, voltage dropped at 12,98V and again, I have a again the low battery warning. And now I do really not see a single parameter that trigger this.

Observation: Remote Console Overview Panel: Red Led blinking on the blue box and on the other panels No Alarm. On the notifications of the remote console, no message.

VRM Panel show the warning VE.Bus System [261] - Low battery: Warning.

So pretty confused which parameter triggers the signal.

0 Likes 0 ·
philippe avatar image
philippe answered ·

@Matthias Lange - DE A small update. The VE.Bus System [261] - Low battery: Warning has been triggered by a Low SOC.

Normally the ignore AC input (20% - 80%) worked very well before ESS. Now last night he stopped charging after 70% SOC. So that is one problem I need to figure out (I suspect the SOC values in teh ESS - Venus GX)

So I wanted to overrule the Ignore AC Input for a supplementary charge. The SOC was at 63% and I dropped it to 19,9 % to open the AC flood :D. And to my surprise, even the Voltage did not change, the Low Battery warning kicked in.

So will need to understand why this happens, and can be an explanation to the (undesired) warning. Apparently also driven by SOC on top of Voltage.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic