question

binderth avatar image
binderth asked

Raspberry pi 2B+ loses Wifi connection / USB Wifi dongle

I'm using Venus OS 2.73 on a Raspberry Pi 2B+ with a Wifi dongle.

Wifi works fine, but after a while Venus OS goes offline and shows "error" on the Wifi, and I have to manually reboot the Pi. I know, there's a "power saving" mode in Raspberry Pi regarding Wifi and normally I would add to my /etc/network/interfaces

wireless-power off

But from what I see inside that file, connman is used for Internet connectivity, which I don't know and I didn't find powersaving options in connman man-pages...

Is there some way I can deactivate power saving - or do something on my Pi losing Wifi? (the router is right next to the Pi, so signal is strong enough.

strangely enough, power_save seems to be off anyways:

root@venus:~# iw wlan0 get power_save
Power save: off
Raspberry Pierrorwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
aph avatar image
aph answered ·

Hi binderth, I seem to have the exact same problem, once every 24 hours wifi stops working and can only be restarted by reboot.
did you find a solution to this?

CU >>> Arne <<<

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chuckenglehart avatar image
chuckenglehart answered ·

I am seeing the same issue with an older Netgear USB WiFi dongle with VenusOS v2.92 on a Pi 2B. 5v/2A power supply. I have tried this dongle on other non-pi machines and haven't seen an issue.

From lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111v2 54 Mbps Wireless [RealTek RTL8187L]

So far I am in the same spot, tried the same commands.

For the next few days I am just going to try having a cron job reboot the pi every 4 hours to see how that works.

1 comment
2 |3000

chuckenglehart avatar image chuckenglehart commented ·
I got rid of my cronjob, and clicked the option to reboot after no network activity, and set the threshold to 3 minutes.

While this isn't a fix, it has been a good workaround.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic