question

luckybeanz avatar image
luckybeanz asked

SignalK on OpenPlotter (RasPi) picking up data from two Cerbo GXs over WiFi

Hi, I have been researching a lot and just came across this https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large which both impressed me and disappointed me as I have just bought a RasPi to set up with OpenPlotter and SignalK server so that I can view the status of both my battery banks along with the boat speed in one screen. I converted the boat to electric and having all this data in one place would be very helpful calculating range. The reason for two Cerbos is that one is on a 12v house bank and the other is on a 48v bank for the motor and invertor. Both batteries use REC BMS and thus the cerbos have a BMS-Can port taken by the BMS. The 48v has all ve.direct ports used by MPPTs.

So I know I can do what want to, it is just figuring it all out. I have not get installed Venus-OS Large on the Cerbos, rather I had started setting up the RasPi when I discovered that I could have just used the Cerbos. Anyway, I think I'd like to continue using the RasPi for now to play and get familiar.

I'd like to get the data from both Cerbo GX devices on to the Pi running Signal K on OpenPlotter. The Cerbos and the Pi are all connected to the same WiFi network via a mobile LTE Router. I have the Victron Venus Plugin installed and MQTT on Lan Service enabled on the Cerbos.

1st issue ) There is only an option to add one Venus device address. Which might mean that I need to do this a different way? If so, would enabling Signal K on the Cerbos and then using one Cerbo(Primary) to add a remote instance of the other cerbo (Secondary) to grab data, then add the Primary Cerbo as remote instance on the Signal K on the Pi? - Essentially I would have 3 Signal K servers running then.

2nd ) When setting up the remote instance, what is the Venus MQTT Host, currently it is set to venus.local. Then in the instance mappings, how do I know what number the Venus Device Instance is, and what do I set up the Signal K Instance to?

Thanks for any input, I am just starting down the rabbit hole and am a bit overwhelmed with all the info and protocols at the moment. Eventually I will be connecting this to an NMEA 2k network and hopefully giving new life to some old Stowe devices on NMEA 0183. As well as connecting to my Curtis Motor Controller CAN to see motor data.

cerbo gxRaspberry PiwifiSignalK
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers