question

gazchopper avatar image
gazchopper asked

LoRaWAN stops working after a while

After about 2 days I stop receiving data from the lorawan. No changes to the flashing green light, tried restarting everything (router, gateway lorawan)

Software is updated on all three units,

Was all working perfectly for a few days then dropped out and hasn't worked since.

Any ideas?

screenshot-20210923-065639.png

victronLoRaWANgateway relay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
Daniël van de Giessen avatar image
Daniël van de Giessen answered ·

There currently are some issues with the latest version of The Things Network infrastructure. I've just gone in and was able to manually correct the specific issue with this one LoRaWAN Module, it should be back online in VRM now. We're still looking into these issues and will update the documentation when we know more.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sveinungkb avatar image sveinungkb commented ·

Daniel, could this be what's affecting me as well? Would love to get a resolution to my question too, as of now the product has been pointless since i see no data.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/103192/vedirect-lorawan-bmv-702-no-data.html

0 Likes 0 ·
gazchopper avatar image gazchopper commented ·
Could you please tell me how to do this as it's offline again now

Cheers Gaz

0 Likes 0 ·
mtnbrit avatar image
mtnbrit answered ·

can you fix my two gateways also please?

70b3d5499cc0dba9

70b3d5499efb9c49

2 |3000

mtnbrit avatar image
mtnbrit answered ·

Hi Daniel, Would you be able to fix my two LoRaWAN gateways please? How do we get this back working? I depend on being able to access the data remotely.

70b3d5499cc0dba9

70b3d5499efb9c49

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @mtnbrit

You got a private message 2 days ago, the answer was:

The problem lies with the fact that your gateway is logging to the EU service not the Australian one and that is no longer accepted by TTN in their V3 stack.

0 Likes 0 ·
mtnbrit avatar image mtnbrit Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks. Strangely I dont see anywhere in the community about private messages.

So my TTN account had the North America gateway server configured. I changed it to Australia and im waiting for data to see if it starts working in VRM.

Are you saying only the au1 Australia gateway server works with VRM now? Is this issue documented or being discussed somewhere online that I can reference? TTN v3 stack is their current version, seems odd that some gateway servers work and others dont.

0 Likes 0 ·
mtnbrit avatar image
mtnbrit answered ·

Ive tried changing the gateway server to each of nam1, eu1 and au1 and all of them result in just flashing blue light on the module. In the TTN console, I see repeated JoinEUI messages from both my modules, but they never seem to "join" and go to blinking green.

Are we sure the vrm application EUI is live? it seems like the Join messages are being ignored. The JoinEUI I see the messages going to is 70B3D57EF0005F34. Can you confirm this is correct and this Application is operational?

2 |3000

mtnbrit avatar image
mtnbrit answered ·

SOLVED! So after some more fiddling and changing the server back to nam1 and restarting the gateway router, its all started reporting on VRM! yay.

2 |3000

sveinungkb avatar image
sveinungkb answered ·

Glad it worked for you @mtnbrit , wish I would get some response from their team too on my similar request. Not very impressed with how they support their products.

2 |3000

gazchopper avatar image
gazchopper answered ·

Hi

Sorry it randomly came back online, reported for 7 days and now has currently been offline for 2 days

Again resetting didn't work

It's quite frustrating as my property is a 4 hour drive away so fiddling with it and trying to get in to work isn't easy going.

It's obviously with the victron unit as my temp sensor (draigo) is still working.

Cheers Gaz

2 |3000

gazchopper avatar image
gazchopper answered ·

@Daniël van de Giessen could you please let me know how to get it working again, as it's been unusable for three days now.

Getting to the point is more offline than on

Thinking I'll get it posted back to victron until they iorn out the problems,

Cheers

2 |3000

Daniël van de Giessen avatar image
Daniël van de Giessen answered ·

Hi @Gazchopper ,

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. The issue appears to be with the network / the LoRaWAN gateway your module is using. Currently it seems your module does not have a connection to TheThingsNetwork.

When I checked a few days back, the problem was that the gateway you were using was misconfigured: It should be connected to the appropriate TheThingsNetwork cluster for your region, which is au1 for Australia, but instead it was set up to connect to the European TTN cluster, and thus your module was not working. What I did then to make it come back online was manually setting your module to use the (incorrect for its region) eu1 cluster, to confirm this was indeed the problem.

Right now, as you stated your module is offline again. I did just check for you and this time it does not appear to be the same issue as before, as right now we're not receiving data from this module in any TTN cluster. It looks instead like the device is simply not within range of any LoRaWAN gateway that is connected to TheThingsNetwork. I'm afraid there is little I can do to remedy that from the network side.

If you are using a gateway of your own, there is a few things you could check:

• Is the gateway configured to connect to the appropriate TTN cluster (au1)?
  • Is the gateway receiving data from the module?
  • Can you also see this data in the TTN Console for your gateway?
2 |3000

gazchopper avatar image
gazchopper answered ·

@Daniël van de Giessen

Can you please set the module as you did before,

As when I go into the dragino gateway there is no set up for Au1 if selecting V3 provider

screenshot-20211014-194746.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Daniël van de Giessen avatar image Daniël van de Giessen ♦♦ commented ·
Ah, that is an unfortunate oversight in their firmware, especially considering they did put a dropdown box there but didn't fill it with alternative options.

I have configured your specific device to use the eu1 cluster. Can you see your device online now?

0 Likes 0 ·
gazchopper avatar image
gazchopper answered ·

Unsure what's going on with this mate,

Seems to have started working???

In the dragino gateway there is no setting for Au1 on TTN V3 only eu1

So I set the TTN to EU.1 server address

Now it seems to be working

I've messaged dragino to find out if there is a update available will post anything more up as it happens

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic