question

NauticaResearch avatar image
NauticaResearch asked

BMV-712 connected via LORAWAN to VRM portal does not show starter voltage.

Will the VE.direct LORAWAN portal report and display separate voltage readings for both (each) battery banks when a BMV-712 is configured in a dual bank? Though I may be mistaken, the portal demo does not appear to have a sample of BMV-712 dual bank data readings. Thank you.

BMV Battery MonitorVE.DirectLoRaWAN
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi @Admin :o),

yes the BMV712 2nd batteries Voltage is reported to VRM. You can even view detailed graph info from your second (starter) battery in "advanced" tab on VRM.

Edit:

I just read through the LoRaWAN manual, and it seems like, that the BMV712 starter battery voltage is unfortunately not transmitted to VRM portal via LoRaWAN but the manual is indeed not very clear on this.

Maybe a Victron Staff Expert can confirm.

Regards,

Markus

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

NauticaResearch avatar image NauticaResearch commented ·

Thank you for the reply and I understand what you’re saying. However, as the portal isn’t working (in my case) as you describe, I’ve attached some additional detail from another post I added seeking answers to this question. Please see below:

The starter battery voltage graph on the portal is enabled via “advanced”, but shows “no data to display” (it has no actual reported voltage data readings but the empty graph itself is there).but on the 712 device itself (the gauge), it shows the Starter Battery voltage accurately. The primary voltage is showing correctly on the portal and on the 712 as are many other reporting fields/elements,, but it appears that starter battery voltage is not reported over the LoRaWan to the portal. Is this a LoRaWAN device configuration issue or is it a design limitation of the LoRa device reporting? Starter battery voltage reporting is required in this installation in addition to the primary bank voltage reporting.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ NauticaResearch commented ·

Oh I see. Thank you for the information. Have you updated the firmware of the devices involved to the latest version? If yes, I will ask an Victron Staff Expert to join that question.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

I just read through the LoRaWAN manual, and it seems like, that the starter battery voltage is unfortunately not transmitted to VRM portal but it is indeed not very clear on this.

Maybe a Victron Staff Expert can confirm.

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
NauticaResearch avatar image NauticaResearch markus ♦♦ commented ·

The BMV-712 Smart is at Firmware v4.01. The VE.direct LoRaWAN device is at FW v1.05 and does not appear to to me to be firmware upgradeable via Victron-connect. The documentation isn’t clear to me as to ways to upgrade the LoRaWAN VE.direct firmware with only the two devices (the 712 and the LoRaWAN device) in our Victron equipment environment. At any rate, I believe the 712 is running the latest FW (v4.01) and ill gladly take guidance on upgrading the LoRa FW if v1.05 isn’t the latest. Many thanks for the follow up and support.

0 Likes 0 ·
NauticaResearch avatar image NauticaResearch commented ·

I saw that in the docs as well and agree it’s less than clear. I’ll hope for confirmation one way or another from a Victron SE. Thank you for your efforts.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic