question

Ray avatar image
Ray asked

Can I use a VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle on a Smartsolar 100/20 to extend BT range to a smart battery sense

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) @mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

As previously posted my smart battery sense does not connect to the smart solar 100/20 because it is too far away in the engine bay (about 3 metres).

Can I add a VE.Direct BT dongle to the 100/20 and position it closer to the smart battery sense to solve this problem?

BluetoothSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @ray_pridham@bigpond.com, I think so; but let me check internally to be sure.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ray avatar image Ray commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

Any progress on the above question re using a ve BT dongle to improve connection to smart battery sense.

thanks,

Ray

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Ray commented ·

Hi Ray, yes; that its possible. Thank you for the reminder; and my apologies: I forgot to post the info here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ray avatar image Ray mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

excellent thanks, now to hassle the supplier for a keen deal.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Update the SBS firmware with victron connect. They really extened the BT range in the last couple months. Mine didn't connect at 6' prior to one of the last couple updates. Now it just works all the time. -Bill

3 comments
2 |3000

Thanks bigbillsd , I will give it a try asap.

Ray

0 Likes 0 ·

Ok updates all done successfully but range from smart battery sense to victron connect seems to be the same, ie not as good as range from the 100/20 which is about 6 metres.

Ray

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Ray commented ·

Hi Ray, yes that Smart Battery Sense currently doesn’t have a very good range.

We’re coming with an improved version (hardware redesign). I don’t know the timing from the top of my head; still months minimum.

I’ll still come back to your other question; a bit later today probably.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic