question

greg-1 avatar image
greg-1 asked

Temperature compensation versus simple low temperature cut-off for Lithium

Are there any advantages of temperature compensation versus simple low temperature cut-off for Lithium batteries?

I have a BlueSolar MPPT 100/50, 768Wh 12V Victron Lithium SuperPack and a BMV-702 + Temperature sensor. I could buy Smart Bluetooth dongles and have an "active" temperature compensation on the MPPT. But I'd rather avoid Bluetooth and use a VE.Direct non inverting remote on-off cable with BMV-702 relay to setup simple a low temperature cut-off of the MPPT charging.

The whole system will be stored outdoors in a small metal cabinet (close to Frankfurt, Germany). I expect temperatures from 0 deg C to maybe 50 deg C.

VE.DirectTemperature Sensortemperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Greg

Please don't use 'temperature compensation' for lithium batteries!! this is for lead-acid batteries.

you can use the low temperature charge disable in the MPPT settings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

VE.Direct protocol FAQ