question

jex avatar image
jex asked

Older Phoenix inverter 24/2500 readout VenusOS

It's quite hard for me to find any clear information on the possibilities of my inverter.
I'd like to connect to this inverter and read out its stats and power usage.

I know all the recent models of this inverter/multiplus have ve.bus possibilities and I know my current one does have this phone/ethernet like port.

I'm now in the process of setting up VenusOS on a raspberry to read out the MPPT charge controller but can I also connect to this older inverter? It's a Phoenix Inverter without the orange stripes but with the red phoenix bird.

My guess is it can be done with the MK3-USB interface but I'd like to have a confirmation on this and if it's possible, what kind of information can I pull from the inverter? If not possible, any other ways to pull status information from this device?

Thanks in advance.

Venus OSPhoenix InverterRaspberry PiMK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm afraid that these older inverters are VE.9bit. This is an deprecated protocol which is not compatible with the current VE.Bus.
You'll not be able to get any information out of it onto a Venus device (your RaspberryPi running VenusOS). If I remember right, the MK3 it's self will not communicate with the old inverters.

I don't know of any other way to make ths work, I have on old Phoenix myself.
The old kit was not designed with the modern monitoring and control features in mind. The old protocol was designed for configuration and it supported some very basic "on/off - LED status" remote panels.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jex avatar image
jex answered ·

Thank you. I was afraid of this already. Maybe there is some serial output of some paths. But this requires some thinkering. And if anyone has tried this that would be great to hear from.

2 |3000