question

martinwinlow avatar image
martinwinlow asked

AC or DC Coupling PV Tracker to Multiplus II and Battery

Hi,

I am in the process of installing a 4kW tracking PV array (nearly done) at my home.

I have a ~30kWh 48V LiFePO4-based battery available (not yet set up) and a spare 5kW Multiplus II I was planing to use with the battery. The plan was to use these as a semi-'grid-tied' (hybrid?) supply to the garage which also houses my EV charge point, providing power to the garage (and ideally on to the house) when it is available from the PV and/or battery or using the grid (from the house) when it is not.

I had planned to use Enphase microinverters with the 10 x 380Wp tracker PV modules which I bought some years ago and which are brand new but upon finally getting them out of storage, I see they are not compatible with my much more recently purchased PV modules (doh!).

The house already has 2 x 5kW Multiplus IIs and a ~15kWh battery system in it which operates off an intermittent mains supply (via a 'total heat/total control' meter which has 3 'on' times throughout the day amounting to about 9 hours in total, 2 of which are at the whim of the supplier). Obvs, the MpIIs island the property when the mains is off.

So, I am back to the planning stage again as to whether to AC or DC-couple the array. The array is about 10m from the garage and has only relatively minor early and late in the day shading issues.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received...

Multiplus-IILithium BatteryAC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@martinwinlow

I am always a fan of a mix if battery cycling is happening.

AC for loads DC for charging the battery.

It really depends on its entire purpose.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.