question

blish avatar image
blish asked

How to enter the VRM world

Hello,

I have a 2.5kWh home-brew backup battery generator thing and recently added about 400W of Solar. I’m now interested in being able to monitor the system remotely (versus having to be within Bluetooth-shot of the unit). Below is the list of equipment I’m currently using:

• Victron Energy Orion-Tr IP43 12-Volt 9 Amp 110-Watt DC-DC Converter, Isolated (for when I take the thing camping, I can charge via the car’s electrical system)
  • Victron Energy BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor (Black) + temperature sensor
  • Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller

What equipment would I need to add to this setup to enable VRM? Looking for the most economical solution preferably.

Thanks,

Marcus

VRMbatterysolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Blish

The Cerbo S is a neat entry point.

You will need that and some VE direct cables.

The one that cannot connect to the cerbo is the Orion though.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

For VRM you need a GX device in your system. E.g. colour control, Cerbo-S. The colour control is discontinued, but you may still find one. You also need an always on internet connection. Check the Comms capability of your MPPT. And note that the Orion will not be shown separately. Its contribution will be part of the BMV numbers.

If you're handy with the Raspberry Pi, you can install the Venus OS used by Victron, this is covered in the modifications space of the community.

2 |3000

Related Resources