question

kolhusby avatar image
kolhusby asked

Charging system

Alright this is what I am working with. I’m running two battery banks that are built completely similar. I am powering a a multiplus 2 48v charger with 120VAC 20a. The DC output off the charger (48-52v) connects to a Lynx smart BMS. The other side of the Lynx smart goes to a custom distribution box. I have my own bms system from Vero so I am bypassing the lynx smart’s bms capabilities by jumping the two 3-pin connectors with a Victron cable. The primary reason why I got the lynx smart bms was because of the contactor capability. Being able to have remote and automatic, isolation from the batteries is a nice safety feature.

This leads into problem one, my system is charging, but now the lynx smart bms won't work in automatic mode and disengage the charger Once charged voltage and tail current is met.

Back to my distribution box, the output of the lynx smart BMS goes into the distribution box and the negative connects to a bms 700 on the load terminal on the other side of the BMV 700 the battery side, this jumpers to my four smart shunts which are all paralleled on the system minus side. On the battery side of the Smart shunts this is where my negative from my four batteries are connecting. The positive side of my distribution is pretty simple from the output of the lynx Smart BMS the positive comes into my junction box and hooks to a bus for the positive wires of the batteries, which are individually fused with a 30 amp fuse.

Another piece of Victron gear I have is a cerbo GX, which is connected to my Lynx smart, and my charger and all of my shunts. I am connected with VRM as well as have the VE. Network hooked up and running.

I know Settings is another big part of Victron gear. I’ve watched a lot of videos and read all the pubs. I think I have all of my settings, right but I’m stuck that’s for sure.

Felt the need to add all this just in case some of my logic is off. I’m an ET, but I’m no pro with this Victron gear. It’s all kind of new to me.

I’m able to monitor everything and everything turns on as it should that’s not the issue my problem is that I don’t think everything is operating completely correctly. I don’t know if it has to do with my settings or my wiring but I can’t get my system to stop charging, I don’t want to burn up my batteries by overcharging them

If anyone feels the need to help a fellow Sparky, please respond or give me a call. Thanks.

Kol 9515443483

cerbo gxBMSlynx shuntVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The Lynx Smart BMS requires Victron Smart LFP batteries to function; this is clearly stated in the user manuals and the product pages. Usage of the BMS for purposes other than as designed is not supported and, as such, the problems being experienced are to be expected.

I'll go ahead and move this over to the Modifications Space for other users of non-supported systems in case anyone else has suggestions but at a glance, yes, this is not surprising that the system is not working as desired.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.