question

Hans avatar image
Hans asked

New victron products registered to VRM Portal by dealer.

I bought 2 cerbo gx online new with a official victron dealer, when they arived they where already registerd to a vrm account by the dealer. Is this a acceptable practice? whats victrons official stance on this practice ?

cerbo gxVRMvictron
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Hans,

Our official stance is that the end user who bought and is holding the equipment should always have an avenue to get control of it.

There are several mechanisms to ensure that is always possible.

Outside of that ultimate right, there are so many potential possible situations for different dealers dealing to different customers in different markets with different needs that we don't issue any kind of guidelines to dealers.

If a dealer is restricting your access to your device, then they will probably have a reason for it (as it's extra work for them to do that), and that conversation needs to be had between the dealer and the customer. This might include the customer accepting limitations on the kind of support that they can expect from the dealer in exchange for removing the dealer from VRM access, or gaining full VRM control.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

For online purchases, I don't see why a dealer would need to do this.

Online purchase = DIY.

If the dealer who sells the product also installs the product, he should state upfront if he intends to limit access for the customer, so that the customer can decide if he agrees with that or not, before paying anything.

2 |3000

Supra-Halbleiter avatar image
Supra-Halbleiter answered ·

To me that would be acceptable with a limitation, that the user can gain control of it, like Guy Stewart mentioned should be the case. Buying means transfer of ownership. If the user can not gain control of the device, it is not owned by the user.

2 |3000

Hans avatar image
Hans answered ·

So just an addendum to this question the reason the dealer registered the products was because of a miscommunication between the customer and the dealer. The intention was actually good. But the main reason for this question was that I wanted to know what victron's official stance was and that has been provided and therefore accepted as answer.

2 |3000