question

Lourens avatar image
Lourens asked

48Volt 100Ah BLSBatt Max Discharge setting

I have a question regarding changing parameters on a BSLBatt. I installed the 100Ah battery and upon commissioning it via a Cerbo I saw that the Max DC Discharge Current setting for the Battery as displayed via the Cerbo, is 105A. Both the Victron/BSLBatt setup manual and the battery specs indicate that that setting should be around 150-160 Amps DC (30A AC equivalent). My problem is I have one 2kw electric motor that trips the battery due to overload. (The machine has a slow start due to how it works - it is a big bandsaw).

My questions are
1- Am I correct in saying that parameter is set wrong in the battery?
2 - Is there a way I can change that setting myself via software or must it go back to the local agents for correction ?
3 - Can a support person do it online via Cerbo or Teams?

cerbo gxLithium Batterycurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Lourens avatar image
Lourens answered ·

I managed to answer my own questions after some research:
1 Parameter is set wrong in the battery? -- In order to protect the BMS in the battery, the suppliers set this as a low value - basically equal to continuous load values. It can be lifted higher if needs be.
2 - Is there a way I can change that setting myself via software or must it go back to the local agents for correction ? - One can probably do it yourself if a special Victron Cable (Ethernet to USB) is available and one have the correct software that can "read" the battery - which I currently have no clue what that could be.
3 - Can a support person do it online via Cerbo or Teams? Yes - they can if you have the special cable attachment available.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kofi avatar image
Kofi answered ·

Hi Lourens,

How did you go about it finally?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Do not manually change any BMS parameters, it is not smart and will void the warranty.

Later generations have a higher continuous discharge rate than earlier ones, the BMS is setting the system correctly and will automatically adapt the parameters as required via DVCC.

Like all batteries, they will permit a short burst (Max) discharge rate for a few seconds that is higher than the continuous rating.

If you need more power, buy more batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?