question

bathnm avatar image
bathnm asked

VE.Bus Smart Dongle and Temperature reporting

Hi,

I am not sure if there has been some planed or un-planed capability changes in recent updates.

I have a VE.Bus Smart Dongle connected to my main battery, along with a temperature sensor. Connecting to the Smart Dongle visa Bluetooth and VC I can see the battery temperature, see attached.

At some stage, I believe in late Jun, the reporting of this through VRM seems to have stopped, see second screen shot. The periods of no temperature during April and early Jun period where down to the MultiPlus being off, so lack of reporting of temperature would be expected.

Having just checked again, the battery temperature is no longer reported as a viable option against the VE.Bus System, see final screen shot.

I have looked at dubs-spy and there do seem to be paths for BatterySense Voltage and Temperature, none of which have any data, just null data.

Please advise if this is now current behaviour, or a series of bugs?

Many Thanks

png-image.pngscreenshot-2021-07-28-at-091221.png

1628878894035.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRMVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Bathnm , just a note to say we'll check this and let you know.

EDIT: the one who knows this best is on summer holiday at the moment, it will take a few weeks to get back on this.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy), Have just noticed that the VE.Bus Summary widget on VRM does have battery temperature. This in my system must be coming from the Smart Dongle, as it is the only battery temperature sensor in the VE.Bus System. So maybe it is just a loss of the VE.Bus Battery Temperature Sensor widget that is the problem.

1629049821428.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1629049821428.png (46.8 KiB)
jpasop (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jpasop (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Bathnm.

Can you check the VE.Bus cable connection from you dongle to the Multi? The Victron Connect screenshot you posted only shows an icon of the battery with battery temperature and voltage measured by the dongle. This could indicate that the dongle does not communicate with the Multi. When connected to the Multi it should show an overview and details page with Multi based information. See example screenshot below.

A disconnected or bad VE.Bus connection from the dongle would explain why the temperature data is not available on the dbus and in the widget. The temperature data on the VE.Bus summary is probably the last temperature value seen by Venus. Does it change over time?

This data in the summary only changes when a new valid temperature value is received or after Venus device reboot.

Overview example 1629722522880.png

1629722522880.png (247.7 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Will do when I next visit the boat in a few weeks time.
0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm bathnm commented ·
Have just checked. The VE.Bus Summary widget is flipping between 22oC and NaN. I suspect you are correct that the data being displayed in the widget is old data.
0 Likes 0 ·
All sorted thank you. Transpires I made a silly mistake and removed the RJ45 cable from the MultiPlus as it was labeled BMS, and had changed BMS from smallBMS to Lynx Smart BMS. Clearly that cable also went to the Smart Dongle. Many Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·