question

johan-b avatar image
johan-b asked

>10kVA and dedicated production meter

I'm designing a 3-phase ESS system based on 3x a Multiplus-II 5000 with the solar panels feeding in on the DC bus.

3 times 5000 VA brings the total inverter kVa >10kVA and as such is no longer considered a "residential" installation in Belgium and requires special permits and requirements.

One of these requirements is the instalation of a dedicated production meter. This meter is supplied by the grid operator and needs to measure the AC energy produced by the installation.

As the loads on AC OUT, might receive power from AC IN as well, it is not OK to connect such a production meter directly to AC OUT.

The only suitable place is directly behind the inverter and this is not an exposed connection on the Multiplus.

Does anyone know if making a tap directly behind the invertor for connecting a production meter is feasible to do?
Or are there any alternatives possible?

Multiplus-IIESSEnergy Meterpower meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Tapping in to the MultiPlus is not feasible. Also, this would not work anyway because AC-IN energy going to the battery would be counted by the energy meter. That is when the MultiPlus is charging the battery or battery is low and is being sustained my AC-IN.
I'm not sure what to suggest, the energy companies get a bit stuck when it comes to DC systems, they don't seem to have any provision for counting DC energy.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Isn't the place for the production meter on the grid side of the Multi? I'd expect the grid operator would want to know how much energy is pulled from or pushed into the grid, not what you are doing on the load side of the Multi.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
If the energy meter in question is for measuring generation only then it would not work at AC-IN either because of the consumption energy here too.
0 Likes 0 ·