question

harold avatar image
harold asked

Relation / Action to Battery temperature

Technicians,
Yesterday my battery temperature rose above 30°C, I got a warning, , no alarm.
But in the charge characteristics I did not notice a reaction of the Quatro.
At what temperature a reaction will be noticeable?

Thanks, Harold
1626684059899.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargertemperatureTemperature Alarmwarnings
1626684059899.png (40.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi This is NOT a battery temp warning its a High Inverter Temp Warning, The red temp light would also flash on the Quattro at that time

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·
Thnaks Paul!

But just curious, at what battery temperature would the charging change or stop?

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The battery charging voltage reduces slightly as the battery temperature increases. You can see that this is being done because after 20:00 hrs when the battery cools down, the charge voltage increases slightly. The same happened after 23:00 hrs when on float, the voltage kept increasing as the battery cooled down.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What battery do you have and what did you setup in VE.config?

Lithium batteries for example don't use temperature compensation.

1 comment
2 |3000

1626700504351.png

My 24V system battery's are 2x VARTA 230Ah dual purpose lead acid

0 Likes 0 ·
1626700504351.png (20.4 KiB)
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

I don't know if it is properly documented anywhere, but the MultiPlus will not limit charging until battery temperature has reached 50°C, at which time the charge voltage set point will lower to 12/24/48V - see diagram below:

1849-temp-comp-chart-1.png

4 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Mark,

According to this graph, the temp sensor will eventually not protect for overheating etc (> 60 °C)

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ harold commented ·

If the temperature was to read >60°C the temperature sensor is considered to be faulty - in response there will be a temperature sensor error and the setpoint voltage returns to the default charge voltage without any temperature compensation (to keep the system running in some capacity until the issue is fixed).

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold Mark ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks!

So this set up will not protect from overheating due to malfunction of battery or charger. I will set my VRM battery temp alarm to 55°C or so to warn me!

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell harold commented ·
I presume that the basis is if the battery reaches 50degC then the Multiplus reduces the charge voltage, so the charging stops and the battery cools down. This assumes that the temperature is due to charging but if it is from another source such as batteries in an engine bay on a very hot day, then it will not help.
0 Likes 0 ·