question

durval avatar image
durval asked

How much to derate a Phoenix Smart 12/1600 Inverter for altitude?

I need it to operate up to to 4500m above sea level.

What would be its constant and 5s-peak load capacities in VA, at that altitude?

Also, is there a formula or table to calculate these capacities at other altitudes?

EDIT: I strongly suspect the load capacities to be reduced due to what I've read here in this forum, in these other posts:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/61843/instalacion-regulador-solar-mppt-sobre-2500-msnm.html?childToView=95306#answer-95306

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/7443/my-blue-solar-is-only-good-for-2000m-of-altitude.html

These are for Victron MPPT chargers, but I think the same issues could apply to inverters.

Are these issues mainly/only due to temperature (ie, lower cooling due to thinner air)? If so, would installing a couple of fans blowing on the unit (as suggested by @Paul B below) in order to keep the unit at/under 25C, bring the ratings back to the nominal ones listed in the Victron datasheet?

Can someone from Victron please respond, @cquinones (Victron Energy Staff), @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager), @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) perhaps?

Thanks in advance,

--

Durval

Phoenix Inverter
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Cant really answer your questions, but can comment.

The Manual. does give temp derating info in 7. Technical data.

One would imagine that at 4,500m altitude it would be a bit cool..?

The only other comment would be, that at altitude the air would be less dense, and not be able to carry away as much heat from the hot bits in the inverter.

It kind of depends if you intend to operate your inverter moderately, or at full output...

0 Likes 0 ·
durval avatar image durval klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Hi @klim8skeptic thanks for your response.

Yep, I'm taking into account derating due to temperature, and this will certainly not be an issue at 4500m of altitude (temperature well under 25C even in the peak of summer).

I need to know how to derate the power for altitude alone. And I need it to be sure I'm buying an inverter that will be able to handle my load.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

As far as I am aware its only the cooling that should be a issue so maybe increase the airflow into the units . so then there should be no change, in there outputs. you could even temp control the extra fans so they only came on when the temp inside the units increased.

well thats my thoughts

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

durval avatar image durval commented ·

Hi @Paul B and thanks for your response.

I suspect it's more than temperature... I've read in other posts here that (at least with Victron's MPPT chargers) there could also be insulation and other problems. I was even able to find a derating table for Victron MPPT chargers -- but no solid info regarding its inverters.

I've editted my original question to make that clear.

0 Likes 0 ·