question

cottersay avatar image

Phoenix 500VA 12V-120V shutting down with 150W laptop transformer!!!

I have the Victron Phoenix 12V/500VA 120V AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter (as well as other Victron inverters), and I run into a problem when I try to power/recharge my HP Pavilion laptop off of it: The 12/500 (as well as my other Victrons) immediately shuts down (LEDs indicating overload or short circuit). There are no other loads on the inverter when I do this, either. However, the laptop does not have this issue when plugged into the 120V mains or a 300W Solar Generator.
(The HP's power supply is a basic 150W HP power brick.)
How can I prevent this from happening? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

-C. W. Sayre
Phoenix Inverter
2 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Yes, those HP laptop chargers are a nightmare. The inrush current on them is too high.

I have two of them for my work laptops, I cannot have them on the same circuit otherwise they will drop a 16A circuit breaker when switched on.

cottersay avatar image cottersay wkirby ♦♦ ·
Thanks -- I thought that was the problem!
1 Answer
cottersay avatar image
cottersay answered ·

Victron, for all intents and purposes, has no Customer Support, and this useless forum is certainly no substitute.

4 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Going back to your Previous Question , where have you wired the inverter to?

cottersay avatar image cottersay klim8skeptic ·
I wired the inverter with 14 AWG 4 feet long wire to the RV's lighting circuit (10 AWG 3 feet long), which then goes to the two 100Ah lithiums...

14awg is to thin.

As a test, wire the inverter directly to the battery using the recommended gauge cable. Be careful, dont short things out or reverse connect the inverter.

inverter.png

inverter.png (130.3 KiB)
cottersay avatar image cottersay klim8skeptic ·
Great idea, Skeptic! As soon as it stops raining, thundering, and generally flooding here in AZ, I will test it as you say. And if it works, I will now have more 10AWG wire ordered, and then tie it in directly to the Shunt, which is only about 5 feet away.

I'm hoping!