question

joeoffgrid avatar image
joeoffgrid asked

My blue solar is only good for 2000m of altitude?

What can I expect to happen at >4500m of altitude?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

Good question. It has to do with the insulating and heat dispersion properties of the atmosphere the higher you go. Don't know Victron's answer, but below is a link describing how in effects Power Supplies.

https://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/power-supply-notes/4402833/How-does-altitude-affect-AC-DC-power-supplies-

Pat

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I don't have any more specific info than Pat, but Chetang is at ~4500M

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/02/07/sustainable-micro-grid-brings-hope-in-the-himalayas/

1 Like 1 ·
joeoffgrid avatar image joeoffgrid Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

So just a precaution of victron to devoid warranty?

I think the charger has a temperature sensor and should protect itself against overheating.

If necessary I could reduce input voltage. Like covering or disconnecting a panel when travelling through elevated areas.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ joeoffgrid commented ·

I am guessing now, but I would say that is as high as they have been thoroughly tested. It's a company with a Marine background after all, that is based BELOW sea level.

Yes, the units have a self-protecting power output de-rating based on temperature.

The higher you get, the brighter it gets and the colder it gets, so you will need to keep an eye on the PV input voltage and keep it well under the limit.

If you take it, and it fails, and you write a thorough report on the experience I will happily send you a replacement whatever altitude you reach. Good luck! :)

1 Like 1 ·
joeoffgrid avatar image joeoffgrid Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Guy. I will have at least 3 blue solars in my epic trip van :D. Just want to avoid any issues far away on the roads in central asia.

Especially because I will be going particularly after those highest passes.

I too think the limitation is mostly a precaution due to a lack of testing in these conditions.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ joeoffgrid commented ·

Hi Joe,

I thought of one other possibility;

That 2000M figure could have come from the specification of another internal component that is supplied to Victron that makes up the MPPT. A capacitor or processing chip or something.

So we might just be passing it along, as it were.

I think you will be fine, and hope Victron is a reliable travelling companion. It sounds like an amazing trip and I hope you can take some epic blue power photos to post when you get back.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks Guy.

I noticed a big difference in weight between my 75|15s and the 75|10s. I think the former is grouted?

Wonder whether this translates into higher resistance against electrical breakdown?

0 Likes 0 ·