question

xpatrik avatar image
xpatrik asked

2x Phoenix 12/500 with one GX Device

Is it possible to use 2x Victron Phoenix 12/500 in one system? (same battery but just two inverters) From what i can find the phoenix 12/500 doesn't support parallel operation but I just want to power 2 devices from two inverters (1 device per inverter)

VRMPhoenix Inverter
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jesse avatar image Jesse commented ·

Can't say I've tried it but electrically it has to work. I'm not sure what the GX would make of it though!

0 Likes 0 ·
xpatrik avatar image xpatrik Jesse commented ·
Yea, That's true eletrically it will work but i really don't know about GX because it will probably just show the power output from 1 inverter. But i will still probably buy the second 500va inverter because i will still get 2x 500va output even if it will not show correct output in GX/VRM. And if you are asking why run 2x 500VA inverters it is because i don't want to get a big inverter 1000VA or more that runs on 12V. The 500VA inverter is very cheap and great way to get 1000VA output from my system. In the future i want to get a 3000VA or 5000VA Multiplus II but i just dont want to buy a large inverter that runs on 12V. (i want 48V)
0 Likes 0 ·
Jesse avatar image Jesse xpatrik commented ·

You make a good point, it's hard to justify buying most inverters under a 3000VA unit for both price and weight.

There's no problems plugging both inverters into the GX, they should both register as devices and have the same limited configuration and control options, I'm sure someone has tried it already, pity we haven't heard from them.

If you get it working please post a picture of them both outputting and if the GX can do something to combine the data though.

0 Likes 0 ·
uenpia avatar image uenpia commented ·

I am not sure that it will work! When I tried to run 2 x MultiPlus 3000 without phasing them together, I got an Alarm #3 Expected device error. I wanted to be able to save the idle current 24/7/365 because it is seldom I need the extra power, (on a separate output). Phasing them together, and switching off the slave, gave (off course) same error. Trying to attach two different Multiplus, a 3000 and a 1600 gave also same result.

Connecting their outputs together is dangerous as they are not in sync, don't do that! My test was only to see how the GX would handle two separate devices.

2103-244-medium.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
2103-244-medium.jpg (84.7 KiB)
1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @xPatrik,

There are limitations, please read this section of the GX manual for more details and post back if it's still not clear - Connecting multiple VE.Bus systems to a single Cerbo GX

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.