question

alexandruy2k avatar image
alexandruy2k asked

Smart Battery Protect with SmartShunt

Hi,

From reading the manuals the SmartShunt compared to the BMV devices is lacking the pins to set an output alarm or relay.

Which means that I cannot use the SmartShunt together with the Battery Protect to disconnect my DC loads based on the SOC of the battery.

However as both the SmartShunt and the Smart Battery Protect have bluetooth and I have seen in the app that there are networking features, can the SmartShunt talk to the Smart Battery Protect wirelessly and tell the Smart Battery Protect to disconnect my DC loads when let's say my lead battery reaches 50% SOC?

Thank you very much,

Alex

SmartShuntBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Unfortunately not, there is no ability for the SmartShunt to communicate with a Smart Battery Protect via Bluetooth.

Do you happen to have a GX device in the system, like a Cerbo in the system? If so, maybe I can suggest a wired work around to achieve what you want...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Hi @alexandruy2k,

Yes the CerboGX has 2 relays, relay #1 has a few auto functions + manual mode, and relay #2 is manual control only.

If you set the relay function for relay #1 to 'generator start/stop', you can set conditions to switch it based on SOC.

1638445669786.pngThe Smart BatteryProtect has 'REMOTE' terminals and a wire loop - when the circuit is open it will override the internal algorithm and disconnect the load.

1638445884822.png

If you wire the Smart BatteryProtect 'REMOTE' terminals to the CerboGX relay #1 NC and COM terminals, the circuit will open when the SOC condition is satisfied (and the load will disconnect).

1638445992561.png

Note: When the NC relay contacts are used for this purpose, the circuit will be closed (and load ON) if the CerboGX goes off line/loses power for some reason, this could potentially flatten the battery. To protect for this scenario be sure to still set a reasonable low voltage cut-out in the Smart BatteryProtect or also run the wiring through relay #2 (using NO & COM terminals) and set it ON manually (relay #2 NO terminal will become open circuit if the CerboGX goes off line).

If you are technically minded and interested, Venus OS 'Large image' (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large) with Node-RED embedded (https://nodered.org) is another option you can use to control either relay on the CerboGX, and create any logic you want.

1638445669786.png (31.7 KiB)
1638445884822.png (136.1 KiB)
1638445992561.png (366.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

alexandruy2k avatar image alexandruy2k commented ·
Thanks very much for the long and clear message. It all makes sense.

I'm a software engineer but I haven't used node red yet. That might be something I could look at in the future.

But yeah now I have 3 ways of doing what I want. I already have the smart battery protect and a victron MPPT and solar panels.

My first option will be to get the BMV and use the relay on that with the battery protect.

Second option would be Cerbo GX with one of the Victron shunts. Probably the cheaper one as I wouldn't need the BMV display.

Or the third option would be to go fully custom with the Venus image like you suggested on a beaglebone or raspberry pi.

Thanks a million for your time

0 Likes 0 ·
alexandruy2k answered ·

@Mark thanks very much for getting back to me.

Yeah I saw from the manuals that a GX device would be able to do it, but they're more expensive.

So I'm wondering then is using the BMV-712 instead of the SmartShunt my best option, Or would I be better off with the SmartShunt and a GX device?

2 |3000

alexandruy2k answered ·

@Mark I'm coming back to this and I'm thinking of biting the bullet and investing in a Cerbo GX.

I've read the manual but I'm not sure how would I get the Cerbo to control the Smart battery protect.

I see that there's 2 relays available. 1 is used for a generator auto start and the second one doesn't seem to be controllable.

Also according to a different post it doesn't seem possible that the cerbo can control battery protect devices at all unless I misunderstood the post

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/90638/battery-protect-cerbo.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·
By the way, the programmable relay in a BMV-712 could also do the same job directly (without a GX device).
0 Likes 0 ·