question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.70~17 available for testing

Good evening!

After releasing v2.70~16 yesterday, we were quickly alerted by several testers that it had an issue which made devices to be no longer visible on the Device list page. We then decided to block v2.70~16, meaning that we removed it from being downloadable/installable.

The bug was fixed today, in v2.70~17. And that is now available for download. So, here is a new page, to also start with a clean set of answers & comments.

What is this about?

This post is intended for all people participating in the Venus OS Beta test program. Read that link for more information about the program.

What to test?

For those having tank levels on their GX device, the new tank overview. Screenshot below. Though be aware that we know something is still amiss with tanks, and we're looking into that.

Other than that, same as last time: basically everything. In v2.70 we have made multiple low level changes. The OE version has been updated from Rocko to Zeus and the Linux kernel has been updated from 4.19 to 5.10. And as a result, bugs and regression may hide in the most unexpected of corners.

Sofar, the status is that its all proving to be quite stable.

The plan with v2.70

With a bit of luck, official release early next week already.

How to report?

For new issues, add a new answer below. If you see the same as someone else, or know more or an answer for him / her, use the comment feature. Careful: adding a new comment versus adding a new answer are really different things, and you need to look closely to know which button to use for what.

Change log v2.70~1 to ~17

Note: I've condensed all separate change logs into one. So this list now contains all changes for v2.70.

v2.70~17 has nothing new compared to v2.70~16. The only change in ~17 is a fix for the issue that was introduced in ~16.

Tanks:

• Added the new tank overview page. Screenshot below.
  • Increase the margin above the full tank level to 20%. An example to explain this: instead of showing an error in case the measured current is above 20.5mA, show an error when its over 24mA. In that margin, ie. between the configured full level (20mA in my example) and the error level, it will just clip to 100%. Thank you John M. for reporting this improvement; and in general for your push an getting the tanks full featured such as having configurable alarms and having a good overview for them.
  • Use the same tank name in the alarm notifications, the Device list, the mobile overview as well as the new tank overview page.
  • Add tank level alarms. High level alarm and low level alarm. Note that this is only for tank levels measured via the Venus GX, Cerbo GX or GX Tank analog inputs. No alarm levels are supported for tank levels that come in via NMEA2000.
  • Add fluid type 6, gasoline. To fully match the NMEA2000 supported set of fluid types.
  • Support tank senders that send out levels for multiple tanks using different data instances, such as the Garnet Seelevel N2K product, and the Maretron FPM100. Details also here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/551.

User interface & various:

• Change the name of the battery measurements menu to "Battery Measurements" and add a help text indicating that it is (also) for the MFD HTML5 app. This same info is also used for the VRM Dashboard.
  • Better handle AC-Coupled PV on the output of an Inverter RS by adding AC Frequency item, and by showing negative current and power instead of clipping that to zero.
  • Add the firmware version of a Fronius datamanager on the Device subpage. This is added next to the (already shown) firmware version for the PV Inverter itself.
  • Add EM24 Ethernet meter phase configuration setting
  • Improve the CAN-bus statistics page so it all fits on one screen.
  • Fix issue related to Garmin MFDs and the Victron App, because of which the App wouldn't work on the Garmin when doing a certain sequence of power-ups or reboots (ie Garmin first, or GX device first or other way around).
  • NMEA2000-out: include SOH in the NMEA2000-out function. Note that Victron battery monitors such as the BMV series don't have SOH; this applies only when using a lithium battery with integrated CAN-bus *and* that has SOH.

DVCC / ESS / Mode 3 (External control)

• Hide the Grid feed-in menu when ESS is set to External control, since they are not relevant in that mode.
  • Disable the PV-limiter when ESS mode is set to External Control. This avoids problems where the PV-limiter aims for a different grid setpoint than that set with ESS mode 3. Instead, the customer is responsible for doing his/her own control.
  • Improvements related to Inverter RS Smart Solar. But not fully finished yet.

Managed (CAN-Bus) batteries & PV Inverters:

• Recognise REC BMS, and show only supported alarms, ie hide all alarm types for which the REC does not send any status, rather than saying "OK" for those. This (showing only the supported alarms) is a nice feature; for which REC is now the only one that supports it; we're looking forward to seeing the same from other battery manufacturers.
  • Fronius PV monitoring: further improve support for large systems by more intelligently quering the Fronius datamanger. Eliminated unnecessary reconnects, and because of that also reduces CPU load on the GX device. Tested at a site with 6 Fronius ECP PV-inverters, and works well: never disconnects now.
  • Can-bus BMS: support CCL & DCL current limits above 3276A.

Connection to VRM:

• log a warning to VRM in case one or more modules in a managed (CAN-bus) battery is blocking charge.
  • Add various data for the Inverter RS Smart Solar (AC-out power, energy values, some history data for solar)
  • Show VRM down in case the VRM-data-receival system is down; instead of a vague error that might make people think there is an issue on their side.
  • Change the logging frequency of min/max cell voltage/temperature to fix the gaps in the graphs on VRM.

Modbus-TCP

• Add registers for total power, power capacity, and power limiting. The power limit register is for external control in ESS mode 3. This is an easier method than controlling the PV-inverter directly through SunSpec. https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/821.
  • Add registers for /Hub4/TargetPowerIsMaxFeedIn and for /Hub4/FixSolarOffsetTo100mV
  • Add registers for Inverter RS Smart

Networking / modem

• Allow using a GSM modem while connected to a local-only network by not setting a default route if there is no default gateway received from DHCP and/or configured manually.

RaspberryPis

• Note that installing v2.70 on a rpi can only be done by re-installing. Meaning: burn a v2.70 image to an sdcard, overwriting anything on there. Detailed instructions here. And more details in the discussion going on in the comments.
  • Restored the packages (but to anyone using those, be aware that they are really not maintained, and if there in the way again for us we'll just as lightly as previously decide to take them out again. I'm sorry but that's what it is).
  • Support (some of the) RaspberryPi4s. Some of the means that only some older versions work. Newer do not.
  • Make the Bluetooth work on RaspberryPi3 and RaspberryPi4. The functionality is same as other GX Devices: to setup the network. Which means also that there is nothing else: no monitoring of your Victron system, use Remote Console on LAN, or http://venus.local/app/ instead.
  • Use the complete SD-Card size, rather than a fixed size rootfs, by resizing on boot.
  • Enable the radio on by default, instead of blocking it until unblocked by navigating to the wifi menu page in the gui. This fixes it being impossible to configure the wifi on a raspberrypi via VictronConnect/BLE without first going to said menu via Remote Console. Thank you @Stefanie for reporting - quite some time ago.

More developer / hobbyist:

• Switch from version Rocko to version Zeus of Open Embedded. A (perhaps too) simplified explanation for this is that its like going from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and then not in what you see, but just in what's running in the background. For those interested, more info [here](https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases). And yes, Zeus is EOL as well. We'll soon switch over to Dunfell.
  • Linux kernel updated from 4.19 to 5.10 for CCGX, Cerbo GX, GX-Card in MP-II and ES-II products as well as the CANvu GX. And updated from 4.9 to 5.10 for the Venus GX. No change for the raspberrypi, that is still on 4.19.
  • Venus GX: Resize partitions on boot to the "new" large style partitioning. Background: up until the end of 2018, we produced our Venus GX-es with a file system partitioning similar to the CCGX. But the Venus GX has much more flash memory inside. So end of 2018 we changed the production methods. And now with this change, any unit produced before then will also automatically be upgraded to the new (larger) size. This change allows us to add more standard functionality in those older Venus GX-es. And also it makes it easier to install Venus OS Large on a Venus GX produced before end of 2018: its no longer necessary to manually do the repartitioning. Just run v2.70 once, and presto.
  • Fix some management dbus-paths in dbus-pump & dbus-generator-starter, no user visible changes.
  • Update Qt5 to 5.13.
  • Mark menu items that are only visible in debug or other special modes with a color; so thats its clear that its not visible in normal usage.

Known issue:

• In some cases, one or more tanks don't show when selecting the tank type filter button on the bottom. Tanks can also go missing in the mobile overview, aka the "Boat & motorhome overview", enabled in the Settings -> Display & language menu . This missing tanks issue is being looked into.

Previous v2.70 beta posts

Looking forward to your reactions, and have a good weekend,

Matthijs

Ps. the screenshots, first one more Marine oriented, second one more off-grid oriented.

1622831039464.png

1622831015829.png

Ps 2. Screenshot of the new low level alarm for a tank. There is a similar page to configure a high level alarm:

1622923942990.png

Venus OS
1622923942990.png (24.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

My SeeLevel tanks are showing again.

Tanks Overview works.

However, there are no alarm settings or custom name available.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hey Kevin, which VRM url is this? I checked Pennys house, but thats running v2.70~14, not v2.70~17.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Yes, Pennys House. I'd switched back because I haven't updated my GuiMods for ~17.

Booting ~17 now. Will leave it that way until I leave on a trip Monday.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Hey Kevin, thanks. After thinking about this a bit more clearly: indeed those don't work for Seelvel tanks. They don't work for any other tank levels that come in via NMEA2000 either.

The high and low level alarms only work for the tank level inputs on the Venus GX, Cerbo GX and GX Tank. I'll udpate the changelog with that info - thanks! And having those for Seelevel inputs... I don't know, most likely not anytime soon; if ever at all.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

That's too bad. Alarms would be extremely useful in the RV world. For example, Waste tank gets to the warning threshold while tanking a shower.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Yes, well understood. The issue is that the high/low level implementation is inside the driver for those analog inputs. Which is where it should be.

So, to have alarms for the Seelevel, or any other N2K tank level sender, we'd need to either look into and then implement the relevant N2K alarms PGNs. Which then means the Seelevel must support those.

Or we make Venus OS somehow accept setting alarm levels on N2K tanks.. But thats at least not how we usually do things; the intention is always to have such things taken care of by the device itself. So all displays show the same alarm and so forth.

Anyway, its really something we can't look into anytime soon. So perhaps node-red can come to the rescue somehow. And otherwise, I see a Kevin-tank-script-v2 series coming...? :).

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·

Good! Since both are not supported by/for SeeLevel tanks.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jsrivet avatar image
jsrivet answered Ā·

the tank view setting parameter appears in English and my language sƩlect is Frenchpxl-20210605-2227110812.jpg

pxl-20210605-224156718mp2.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi @jsrivet, yes those new strings havenā€™t been translated yet.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Roman Dvorak avatar image
Roman Dvorak answered Ā·

Hi, not one version 2.70 - 15,16,17 of non-functional sending of data to the VRM portal. If I go back to version 2.66, uploading is working.

vrm.pngimg-20210606-082659.jpg

vrm.png (131.7 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Hi Roman, noted thank you.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Thank you Roman! Fixed in v2.70~18, now available for testing.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Roman Dvorak avatar image Roman Dvorak mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Matthijs, yes it works already. Thank you very much.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Dosheimer avatar image
Dosheimer answered Ā·

Hi, fantastic that the new version is out for beta testing. By the way: do you intend to publish an updated large version incl. Node Red also together with the stable next week? I would participate in testing the large from end of next week from my boat installation (current large version seems to be venus-swu-raspberrypi4-20210416110437-v2.70~5-large-18.swu from April).
That would be great!

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Dosheimer, yes I will. Not at the exact same time, but as soon as I have some spare hours.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
gathman avatar image
gathman answered Ā·

Using RPI 3 Model B Vr. 2

In version 2.66, WiFi works with no additional configuration.

In version 2.70~17, does not detect Wifi. There may be workarounds to enable, but the plug and play of 2.66 was really nice. I guess I'll wait to use my new GX Tank 140 module. For now I'll go back to 2.66.

Thanks for the effort though!

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Gathman, yes. I added it to the known issues. See here for more details: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/89981/venus-os-v270-wifi-not-working.html

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi, wifi issue in rpi is fixed in v2.70~19
1 Like 1 Ā·
gathman avatar image gathman commented Ā·
Installed the 2.70~19 today and it's working great! Wifi fired up without intervention and tanks are working! So awesome seeing my tank status on the VRM status. It's SO much more useful than the "push a button and see 0 - 1/3 - 2/3 - Full" on the manual monitor. Thank you guys so much for all the hard work!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
gathman avatar image gathman commented Ā·

LOVE the tank readout.

Any suggestions on how to ignore the unused sensors?

screenshot-2021-06-12-160006.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ gathman commented Ā·
Hi Gathman, good to hear it works! Disabling unused sensors is in the Settings -> I/O menu in Remote Console.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
info-6 avatar image
info-6 answered Ā·

I can't find the version 2.70.17 in the library and Cerbo doesn't find it either. Am I missing some info?

Would be great to get this clarified :)

BRGDS

Hartmut

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
~17 is no longer available. There is only one release candidate kept on the system at any given time.

Cerbo will find the latest.

You will need to keep your own archive of previous betas (release candidates) if you want them to fall back on.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
matteo-fossati avatar image
matteo-fossati answered Ā·

In case of NMEA2000 tank sensor now are correctly showed and ordered.

But, if you switch off the N2K network, when you switch on back you need to reboot the CCGX to get data and place in order the tanks

2 |3000

Related Resources