question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.70~16 available for testing

UPDATE 2021-06-05 morning: (text removed to keep it short).

UPDATE 2021-06-05 22:00: Beta version v2.70~16 had an issue, for which we decided to remove it from the auto-update list within hours of making it available. This is solved in v2.70~17, which is now available for download and in the auto install system. Compared to v2.70~17 has one fix: it fixes the problem that devices were missing from the Device list page on the gui. Also while looking into that we found an open issue, related to tanks, which I added further below. See "known issues".

Good evening!

End of our afternoon, we made v2.70~16 is available for testing in the field.

This post is intended for all people participating in the Venus OS Beta test program. Read that link for more information about the program.

To learn more about the changes made in earlier v2.70 beta versions, make sure to read these two links:

What to test?

For those having tank levels on their GX device, the new tank overview. Screenshot below.

Other than that, same as last time: basically everything. In v2.70 we have made multiple low level changes. The OE version has been updated from Rocko to Zeus and the Linux kernel has been updated from 4.19 to 5.10. And as a result, bugs and regression may hide in the most unexpected of corners.

Sofar, the status is that its all proving to be quite stable.

The plan with v2.70

With a bit of luck, official release early next week already.

How to report?

For new issues, add a new answer below. If you see the same as someone else, or know more or an answer for him / her, use the comment feature. Careful: adding a new comment versus adding a new answer are really different things, and you need to look closely to know which button to use for what.

Change log v2.70~16 & v2.70~17

• Added the new tank overview page. Screenshot below.
  • Increase the margin above the full tank level to 20%. An example to explain this: instead of showing an error in case the measured current is above 20.5mA, show an error when its over 24mA. In that margin, ie. between the configured full level (20mA in my example) and the error level, it will just clip to 100%. Thank you John M. for reporting this improvement; and in general for their push an getting the tanks full featured such as having configurable alarms.
  • Use the same tank name in the alarms, the Device list, the mobile overview as well as the new tank overview page.

ESS / Mode 3 (External control)

• Hide the Grid feed-in menu when ESS is set to External control, since they are not relevant in that mode.
  • Disable the PV-limiter when ESS mode is set to External Control. This avoids problems where the PV-limiter aims for a different grid setpoint than that set with ESS mode 3. Instead, the customer is responsible for doing his/her own control.

Modbus-TCP

• Add registers for total power, power capacity, and power limiting. The power limit register is for external control in ESS mode 3. This is an easier method than controlling the PV-inverter directly through SunSpec. https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/821.

Known issues

• In some cases a tank doesn't show when selecting the tank type filter button on the bottom. And also in the mobile overview tanks can go missing. This is being looked into.

Looking forward to your reactions, and have a good weekend, Matthijs

Ps. the screenshots, first one more Marine oriented, second one more off-grid oriented.

1622831039464.png

1622831015829.png

Venus OS
1622830968091.png (364.7 KiB)
1622831015829.png (136.9 KiB)
1622831039464.png (141.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi all, v2.70~17 is now available for download, which fixes the Device list being empty and/or incomplete issue.

So, welcome to resume testing again.

One note: please hold off on posting issues, I'm making a new page, lets do that there; below is already quite full; and mostly outdated now.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
7 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered Ā·

Version is broken. Device list is empty. Only entries are notifications and settings.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raphael avatar image raphael commented Ā·

In Firmware version v2.70-16, only the device, that I renamed previously in v2.70-15, is visable. The other devices are gone.

firmware-version-v270-16.png

That is how it was in v2.70-15:

firmware-version-v270-15.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ raphael commented Ā·

Thank you both, and others that reported similar issues. Weā€™ve put v2.70~16 on hold (its no longer available for download as a release candidate) for now, while we look into the details to see what the issue is.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Could you put v2.70~15 back in the feeds?

I guess I should have been saving copies of the .swu files but sadly I haven't been.

Lesson learned: always make backups

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Hi Kevin, there is a revert function: Settings -> Firmware -> Backup.

Putting v2.70~15 back in the feeds is a bit of a hassle, so no we wonā€™t do that. Iā€™d rather work on fixing this asap.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Understood. Agree, getting the problems fixed is much more important.

I'm on ~14 for now.

In the future I'll keep backups of all beta versions to fall back on should something like this happen again.

I do know about the backup firmware, but unfortunately when I updated to ~16 I was running a different version so my backup of ~15 was overwritten by ~16.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
ray-mont avatar image ray-mont commented Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy) 12f5e6a6-62b4-4986-bc7f-2c3a8a96327b.jpegRemote console does not shown all device anymore

only the previously renamed ones

if gooing to VRM device list they are there
ray

0 Likes 0 Ā·
itsme avatar image
itsme answered Ā·

server seems to be offline...

1 comment
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·

Indeed, well not offline actually, but unavailable. It is up again.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

SeeLevel tanks are NOT showing up in v2.70~16

The services show up in dubs-spy but not in the Mobile Overview or in the Device List.

(FYI: My GuiMods is NOT installed because they need significant rewrite to make them work with the new tanks code. Also TankRepeater is not installed as it's no longer needed.)

My CANable USB CANbus interface IS working (Raspberry Pi 4)
1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Kevin, that was most likely the now fixed issue. Try v2.70~17. But note there is still some sort of tank-missing issue in there; which is too vague/ too complex to explain more clearly :)

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered Ā·

Hardware Raspi 3b+

Ver 2.70.16

Analog IO inputs missing still?

Tank screen blank due to maybe Analog IO not working? linked.?

venus-io-missing.png

1 comment
2 |3000

I don't know Rob, this can be many things. There are no analog inputs on a raspberrypi normally; perhaps we changed something at some point that made the scripts you made for this go broken. Could you make a separate question about this in the modifications space? With a title: RaspberryPi: Analog inputs missing since xxxx. Where xxxx is the version since when you've seen them missing.

There details how you get analog inputs on a rpi at all; and then hopefully someone is able to help.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Tony Jones avatar image
Tony Jones answered Ā·

V 2.70-16

Cabin Temperature should read around 23-25 degrees today. 35 degrees is a bit too high. :-(

Can we roll back to 2.70-15?

june-5th-vrm.jpg

june-5th-vrm.jpg (70.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @tony-jones, please try v2.70~17 and let me know if there is an issue still on that. Thank you; Matthijs.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Chris Dobson avatar image
Chris Dobson answered Ā·

Good Morning,

The tanks display are now incorrect. The fuel is no longer showing, and the display is showing Fuel 0 and Fuel 1. These are in fact Black Water & Fresh Water.

2.70-16

img-3316.png

2.70 -15

img-3317.png

img-3317.png (1.5 MiB)
img-3316.png (1.5 MiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Good evening Chris, please check if this is solved after installing v2.70~17, now available.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Chris Dobson avatar image Chris Dobson commented Ā·

82feae77-7539-4478-b5b0-5aea3801d4fe.pngGood Evening. Tank displays now working OK. Just one small point, the Fuel tank shows ā€œFuel 2ā€. This may be an issue on the vessel I can check on Monday. Another observation (not just on this update) is that the pump keeps reverting to auto. The pump relay is activated by the fresh water level and controls the water pump and immersion heater. When the vessel is left the pump is switched to off.

fb345aa7-7e0e-40e9-8767-e58a21fecde0.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·

noted..

0 Likes 0 Ā·
rodolfo avatar image
rodolfo answered Ā·

I have lost my MPPT device from the list. After returning to 2.66 versiĆ³n, the MPPT is still missing. So, I dont know how to proceed

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Rodolfo, I checked the logs for your system, and this is the relevant time line:

• 2021-06-03 09:09: it boots up with v2.70~15 (its a reboot; I don't know why, and didn't look into that either)
  • 2021-06-05 15:08: solar charger goes missing. Just out of the blue, not after a reboot, or firmware update, nothing of the sorts.
  • 2021-06-05 15:43: solar chargers is reported again.
  • 2021-06-05 15:57: goes missing again
  • 2021-06-05 16:20: reported just twice, and then missing again.
  • 2021-06-05 16:30: v2.70~16 is installed, solar charger still missing.
  • 2021-06-05 20:36: boots up with v2.66. solar charger still missing.

And then missing ever since. What I think is that you have some connection issue. Ie a loose cable or something like that. I also see checksum errors for that serial port.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
rodolfo avatar image rodolfo mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Solve it! I disconnected the MPPT and made a reset. Perhaps a lightning from a storm blocked the device. Is there anyway to make this kind of reset remotely?

0 Likes 0 Ā·

By opening your own issue, it is not related to this.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources