question

Stephen Otto avatar image

Cyrix-CT 12/24 120A wiring diagram where start assist is not being used -- will this work in combination with Orion 12/24 Converter?

I've been using the non-smart version of the Orion 12/24 Non-isolated 10A Converter for alternator charging between my 12v vehicle system and my 24v house battery. I've been turning it on and off manually using a circuit breaker but would like to make this process automatic for obvious reasons and would like to do so in as elegant a fashion as possible. After researching, I decided that the Cyrix might be able to work in this situation. I wired it up as showing my attached diagram. However, once I started the vehicle and engaged the system, I did not getting any current.

One thing I did not do is connect the small negative terminal of the Cyrix, since I assumed that this was only necessary when using the "start assist" feature, which I am not using. Is this incorrect? Would this solve the problem, or is the cyrix simply not suitable for use with the Orion converter?

ink.png

Thanks!

Cyrix Battery Combinerorion converterwiring diagram
ink.png (44.4 KiB)
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The negative is always needed, as in the manual.
The start-assist wire is optional.

But your wiring will not work.
The cyrix will not close if at one side is 0V (the wire to the Orion).

Maybe you could use a small relay to open/close the remote contact of the Orion if the engine is running.

The non-smart Orion's are not dedicated chargers, they don't have a charging algorithm, they just put out a constant voltage.
You should use one of the Orion-TR smart for that.

2 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Can you explain in more detail the way in which I would use a relay to activate the converter for this particular converter? Thank you!

Something like this:

img-20210530-183229.jpg