question

Stephen Otto avatar image
Stephen Otto asked

Cyrix-CT 12/24 120A wiring diagram where start assist is not being used -- will this work in combination with Orion 12/24 Converter?

I've been using the non-smart version of the Orion 12/24 Non-isolated 10A Converter for alternator charging between my 12v vehicle system and my 24v house battery. I've been turning it on and off manually using a circuit breaker but would like to make this process automatic for obvious reasons and would like to do so in as elegant a fashion as possible. After researching, I decided that the Cyrix might be able to work in this situation. I wired it up as showing my attached diagram. However, once I started the vehicle and engaged the system, I did not getting any current.

One thing I did not do is connect the small negative terminal of the Cyrix, since I assumed that this was only necessary when using the "start assist" feature, which I am not using. Is this incorrect? Would this solve the problem, or is the cyrix simply not suitable for use with the Orion converter?

ink.png

Thanks!

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartCyrix Battery Combinerwiring diagram
ink.png (44.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The negative is always needed, as in the manual.
The start-assist wire is optional.

But your wiring will not work.
The cyrix will not close if at one side is 0V (the wire to the Orion).

Maybe you could use a small relay to open/close the remote contact of the Orion if the engine is running.

The non-smart Orion's are not dedicated chargers, they don't have a charging algorithm, they just put out a constant voltage.
You should use one of the Orion-TR smart for that.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto commented ·

Can you explain in more detail the way in which I would use a relay to activate the converter for this particular converter? Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Stephen Otto commented ·

Something like this:

img-20210530-183229.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Product page Cyrix Battery Combiner