question

thomas-hamre avatar image
thomas-hamre asked

Orion Smart: How to controll the "engine on" function for multiple outboards??

Hi community,

I have a boat with 2 outboards connected to a AGM starter bank. From here I would like to charge my lithium bank using 2 x Orion TR smart 12/12-30.

I have read about the voltage settings for starting and stopping. All good so far.

The problem starts if I run only one of the outboards (trolling etc) both Orions will start and overload the one 50ah alternator.

Is there a signal from each outboard I can connect to the Orions on/off port? What type of signal is accepted? On / off voltage or just short cutting? Do not know what the Yamahas provide.

I also have the Cerbo Gx connected to the NMEA 2000 so maybe the relays can be used if the cerbo understands which outboard is on/off?

For info I have the following equipment;

- 2 x 100ah lithium batteries c/w bms (aio)

- 2 x Orion Smart 12/12-30

- Cerbo GX

- Smart Shunt

- Smart MPPT 100/30 + solar panels

- 2 x yamaha f225

Hope there is someone out there with the same setup that can share their setup.

Thanks

cerbo gxorion-tr smartalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

Do you have two key switches for 2 outboards? Then I would run off each ignition on to one of the orions. It will then start charging before the engine is running though.

If that is no good put that in line with a relay thats voltage sensitive and then towards the remote in on the orion. Then they are individual and fool proof.

Or Split the Starter Bank. Ideally with one of these override connector switches for when one bank is dead.

You need 12v to H on remote in to make it start working. Have a look on the alternator whether there is a D+. That could be also your signal. But only if you have 2 individual control lights for no charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thomas-hamre avatar image
thomas-hamre answered ·

Thanks for your response,

- No Keys. Keyless Keyfob. There is two "push buttons", one for each engine. Will check if this can be used for anything.

- Not sure I understood the in-line Relays: Where in the system would would I put the relays? I guess anywhere there is independent power from each engine?

- Splitting the AGM starter battery is most likely the best solution in my mind. I will investigate what it takes to split it. I think the battery combiner switch is there already, however not in use.

- I will check the cables from the outboards as well. Believe there is a D+.

Now I have a few options.

Will come back with more questions when I proceed with the installation.

Have a nice weekend

2 |3000

ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

Voltage sensing relais go on the shared AGM, if voltage rises here, something is running. But probably a non starter with these pushbuttons. There is more electronics behind.

By the way, is there an engine active control light? Might be a way to go too.

Have fun and a good weekend too.

2 |3000