question

buryck avatar image
buryck asked

12v AGM leisure battery charging from van alternator

Hello, i have a Ford Tansit van converted into a camper and i would like to charge my leisure battery from the alternator. I was thinking of using the Orion-Tr dc to dc charger. Would this be enough, or is this even a good ideea? Or is there another way of doing it.

Thanks alot :)

battery chargingorion-tr smartAGM Batteryalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

The Orion-Tr DC-DC charger is specially designed to charge a leisure battery and separating it from your starter battery. And yes, only a Orion-Tr would be sufficient.

There are other solutions, such as diodes or simple relays that switch on at 14V, but those are not necessarily cheaper. I'd prefer the Orion over a diode or relay.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

buryck avatar image buryck commented ·

Thank you very much

Which version should i get, the isolated or non-isolated version? I don't know the difference betwen them is.

0 Likes 0 ·
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

The isolated versions have their own negative circuit for both batteries, while the non-isolated version share the neutral.

You have a car/van/camper, where the chassis is usually used as ground/neutral/negative. You can go for the non-isolated version.

1 comment
2 |3000

buryck avatar image buryck commented ·

Thank's alot.

0 Likes 0 ·
southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

I Use the Orion 12/12 30 Isolated in my camper conversion without any issues. I use it in isolated mode which the camper electrics are completely separate from the van electrics.

2 |3000