question

alexv avatar image
alexv asked

Phoenix IP43 Charger Startup spike tripping circuit breaker

Hello,

Sometimes when I power on the IP43 Charger (3/50A), it blows the fuse in the shore power pole. When the fuse is reset by someone of the marina, all works properly again. The unit a powering multiple lead/acid batteries.

I have read that someone else noticed a high startup consumption, but not sure he means this.

Do I have a faulty unit? Any suggestions?

Regards,

Alex

chargerPhoenix Inverter
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

southsideph avatar image southsideph commented ·

Hi

I would like an answer to this also. I recently replaces my existing charger for for the IP-43 in my Camper. Every time I connect to a power source it trips the AC MCB once you re set it it works fine. Is this a fault with the design?

RE

0 Likes 0 ·
kris avatar image kris commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hello all, what you're seeing (the start-up spike causing trips for MCBs) is indeed something from the design.

Not good!

The good news is that it works ok for the vast majority of installs. It depends on the MCB, its type, how often the MCB has already tripped / how easy it is to trip it, and so forth. But that doesn't really help you.

We've been working real hard on an improved design; and the good news is that production is now starting for it. It fixes above issue, as well as has a series of other improvements.

Once we have stock of the new units, we're keen to replace any products with this issue under warranty.

Tomorrow, I'll check when we have the first new units. To get yours replaced, two options:

1. go through your dealer, normal RMA process (except that you/your dealer/our repairs department must together make sure there is not just a same one shipped as a replacement - since that won't fix it)
  2. participate in a small field trial. In case you're interested, pls put a small comment and I'll make sure you're contacted by e-mail.

All the best, and my apologies for this.

Matthijs / Victron Energy

Ps. another Phoenix IP43 charger related issue, its visualisation in Venus OS; is quite high up on the list to be solved as well. Its still months away I'm afraid - but not as far down the list as it was .

17 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexv avatar image alexv commented ·

Hi Matthijs,

Good to hear you have found an issue. So I am interested in participating in a field trail.

Please leet us know when new units will be available.

Regards,,

Alex.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

That is good news the unit was new January 2021 and installed in the camper. So would be very happy to take part in a field test as it will likely be put through its paces this year.

Rgds

R

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ southsideph commented ·

Hi both, will do! Its at least a few more weeks; I'll keep you posted and welcome to ping me here in May if you haven't heard anything.

0 Likes 0 ·
alexv avatar image alexv mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I will await your message. Since we have to wait a few more weeks, I was wondering if you have any tips/hints so not to trip the MCB when turning it on? If not, I may have to decide to reinstall the old charger.

Regards,

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ alexv commented ·

Hi,

Things to try could be a much longer shore cable; or try a different socket with higher rating MCB or newer MCB.

thats the best I can give at the moment I'm afraid.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

Thanks, I will try extending the shore cable first.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy),

Just wondering if there any news yet on the new IP42 charger units?

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ alexv commented ·

No news yet, everyone is working really hard but this is not yet finished.

I’m sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hello @mvader (Victron Energy) ,

We are now another month later and wondering if there is any news yet. My relation with our harbor master is not at its best at the moment. I was hoping that you can help us out,.

Thanks,

Alex.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @mvader (Victron Energy) ,

Is there any news you can give us on the availability of new units?

Regards,

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @AlexV yes there is progress; finally. We expect to be able to ship a few samples in August and will contact you via email for that.

My apologies for the issues and the long delay. The "fix" is part of a major redesign of the Phoenix Smart Charger, and such redesigns take there time.

0 Likes 0 ·

Good news, I will wait for the email in august.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Is there any more news on the likely availability of these units?

Kind regarads

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ southsideph commented ·
@SouthsidePH , in the near future we only have units for a field test; and a quite limited amount, one or two units per model.

What model do you have?

0 Likes 0 ·
southsideph avatar image southsideph mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

IP43 12/30/3

S/N HQ192256FM9

Many thanks

Kind regards

0 Likes 0 ·
fil9o avatar image fil9o commented ·
Hello @mvader (Victron Energy) is there any update regarding visualization of Phoenix charger in Venus OS, I'm using Phoenix SC and Inverter separately (instead multiplus) with Cerbo GX and lack of "AC IN" data from charger is frustrating. That was sole reason why i went for Phoenix SC with Ve.direct instead of significantly cheaper blue smart.
0 Likes 0 ·
alexv avatar image alexv fil9o commented ·
Hello, I second the question as I have the same setup.
1 Like 1 ·
frankcilo avatar image
frankcilo answered ·

I am also interested in participating in the field test. I bought my phoenix ip43 in december 2019 and I

had noticed this problem, Ididn't think it was his fault. I hope you will contact me as soon as possible to have the replacement. thank you

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @frankcilo , which model do you have?
0 Likes 0 ·
frankcilo avatar image frankcilo commented ·

3 output 30A

0 Likes 0 ·
pepe1395 avatar image
pepe1395 answered ·

I am interested too, IP43 12/30 (1+1). Thank you Victron. Ciao!b5ab8fb0-4f4c-444c-94f4-56c753c927e4.jpeg

2 |3000

frangar avatar image
frangar answered ·

Hi Matthijs

If its not too late id like to take part in a trial...Im UK based with a 50/3 IP43 Phoenix installed on a narrowboat. Im a marine electrician but the unit is installed on my own boat. So far I must admit it hasn't tripped any MCB either on the boat or shore bollard but happy to take part in a trial and able to measure current draw etc if required. Hope that helps.

Gareth

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, I’ll let the developers know; they’ll let you know if there is space/enough samples. Thank you for the offer to help!
0 Likes 0 ·
mistyb avatar image
mistyb answered ·

I have just bought an IP43 12/50 (1+1) May 2023. Serial Number HQ22372C6ET. I have the same problem, the MCB is C6, the IP43 manual has no details of AC current draw or suggested breaker trip which is a significant omission. This breaker never tripped with previous charger. I understand that C rated MCB instantaneously trips at 5 to 10 times steady current. I hope the charger I have been supplied is the latest model and not old stock.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@MistyB your charger was manufactured 2022, week 37 (first 4 digits of the serial #)), so not one of the affected units.

You should try the charger on another power circuit.

0 Likes 0 ·
mistyb avatar image
mistyb answered ·

Can anyone tell me what the AC current draw should be? DC output is 600W so a 95% efficiency this 2.75A , 230v AC. Clearly there is a big inrush current if it is tripping a 6A breaker

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic