question

cabezonbd avatar image
cabezonbd asked

Cerbo Newbie Questions

Hello

I just received a Cerbo and GX-50 Screen. I have set it up on a test bench set up to learn and understand all the features and set ups. I think I have the basics set up but want to be able to use more of the great features the unit provides as options. My test set up is comprised of a small 20 aH LiFePo4 4S battery, a REC BMS, two Victron Smart 100/30 MPPT controllers, a BMV-712 to cycle a charge relay, a bench power supply to provide shore power charging. I can see the energy icons operating and current flow as expected during load and charge operations on the GX-50 Screen.

I am having a few initial problems and have some questions,

1) My WiFi is not connecting reliably. My research indicates that the solution is moving the internal Cerbo antennas. Please confirm?

2) I can link my Bluetooth and get a solid blue indicator led on the case but do not see how to use it?

3) I would like to get the remote console operation working but cant seem to see the battery condition on my mobile device. I assume that can only happen if I get the WiFi connected?

4) Is there any "Cerbo for Dummies" type post to better understand all the features, definitions, and operation to read?

Thanks for any suggestions.

cerbo gxremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
1) My WiFi is not connecting reliably. My research indicates that the solution is moving the internal Cerbo antennas. Please confirm?

Possibly. Test it by removing the display and/or by using one of the less affected WiFi channels (such as channel 11 - you set this in your WiFi router).

But it could also be something else. For instance I have Cerbo GX WiFi issues (occasional lost connection) with newer Cerbo firmware (2.62 and 2.63), but no problems with 2.60. But I do not have the Cerbo GX display either.

2) I can link my Bluetooth and get a solid blue indicator led on the case but do not see how to use it?

With VictronConnect.

3) I would like to get the remote console operation working but cant seem to see the battery condition on my mobile device. I assume that can only happen if I get the WiFi connected?

Do you mean information from the BMS? There is nothing about the battery in the Cerbo GX menus? Or you could not access Cerbo GX yet?

Whomever installed your system did not explain to you how it works and how to check it?

4) Is there any "Cerbo for Dummies" type post to better understand all the features, definitions, and operation to read?

Cerbo GX Manual

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cabezonbd avatar image
cabezonbd answered ·

Hello Seb71

Thank you for your response. I am still struggling with my cerbo and display. The WiFi issues remains. I am not sure if that is a contributing factor of my problems or not.

Bluetooth does connect, but I do not see and voltages or updates to a remote screen. the battery shows as "idle 0W"

I am installing the system on a test bench and prototype LiFePo4 battery and breadboard of a load and charge system includes two smart MPPT 100/30 solar controllers and a BMV-712 to control the charge bus relay. I am trying to teach myself but i am not getting too far.

I am looking to get the Cerbo to pass along the battery voltage, current load or charge, etc. first via bluetooth then via wifi and remote console.

I have downloaded the manual but I see screens in the manual that are not the same as I see real time. Could be because my version on the Cerbo is V2.56. Its kind os a catch 22 as I dont have wifi to download the version updates.

I did see in the manual that I should connect first time via an ethernet cable. I will try that to update software that way.

Looking for any other suggestions as I have spent a lot of times spinning my wheels.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
I am still struggling with my cerbo and display. The WiFi issues remains.

Even with the display removed?

I have downloaded the manual but I see screens in the manual that are not the same as I see real time.

Yeah, I think there are some differences, depending on the firmware.

5 comments
2 |3000

cabezonbd avatar image cabezonbd commented ·

Hello Seb71 I am not sure how to tell if I connect via wifi when the screen is disconnected. If I look at the GX50 when I am connected the screen indicates wifi failure with no updates like ip address or submask etc. yet even with a wifi connect failure on the GX50 I do get a flashing green LED on the cerbo box.

If I disconnect the GX50, I'm not sure how to access the Cerbo menu via a laptop?

BTW, I did update the software to V2.63 via direct connect through an ethernet cable to my internet hub.

Bottom Line, I can not get useful info on remote console

Sorry for my questions, I am trying to learn but am challenged when things dont seem to work as expected.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 cabezonbd commented ·

You can connect to Cerbo GX with a phone, using Bluetooth.

If Remote Console is enabled, you can connect using that (either over LAN, or via VRM).

The above can be done with the display not connected.

0 Likes 0 ·
cabezonbd avatar image cabezonbd seb71 commented ·

SEb71, Thank you so much for sticking with my questions. a direct ethernet connection to my internet hub has resolved the remote console issue. It is very difficult when the initial things don't work. Very hard to get started while being new with the system. Now it seems My next task is to resolve the WiFi connect issue to make it reliable. In the mean time, now is a time for learning many of the features of the Cerbo.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 cabezonbd commented ·

I see that you posted a new thread about relocating the antennas.

Do not do it, unless you confirmed that WiFi works with the display not connected.

0 Likes 0 ·
cabezonbd avatar image cabezonbd seb71 commented ·

Thanks Seb71, this may all be a mute point as I am leaning towards a direct connect of Cerbo to our WiFi hub on the boat. It’s a shorter run than I am doing at home as part of my experiment. I will try to test the WiFi without the gx50 connected today, but it works so well as a direct connect that may be part of my permanent installation. thanks for all the feedback.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Remote Console on VRM - Troubleshooting