question

manny-martinez avatar image
manny-martinez asked

Confused about local LAN and Cerbo GX

I’m trying to connect to the Cerbo GX remote console and aware that you must use either a LAN connection or VRM.

my confusion lies with the definition of LAN. The Cerbo has a built in WiFi access point that I can connect to via my phone using the QR code. Should I be able to connect to the remote console after connecting to the Cerbos access point? Or does my Cerbo need to join a network (ie: my home network) in order for me to connect to the remote console?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

VRM (vrm.victronenergy.com) is a website on the Internet, to which your CerboGX can connect so you can remote-control your Cerbo. Thus, the Cerbo needs Internet access. So you either have to use an RJ45 plug that has DHCP and access to the Internet or you need to connect your Cerbo to a WiFi accesspoint that offers Internet access.

If you are connecting to your CerboGX SSID/Accesspoint you can use remote control on your phone or computer, but you cannot use VRM.

Basically, if you will be using your Cerbo at home (no boat or something) you need to configure the CerboGX to connect to your home WiFi. After which you can use VRM (vrm.victronenergy.com) to view your CerboGX and use remote-control using your browser.

(Please note: You have to enable remote vrm access in the Cerbo! It's disabled by default)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

allaboutsolar avatar image
allaboutsolar answered ·

You don't have to be connected to the internet for the remote console to work. If you connect your phone to the cerbo via bluetooth goto settings (the little wheel in the top right corner,) activate the wifi access point, then go to your phone settings/connections/wifi scan for available networks and connect to the venus/cerbo wifi access point. Accept that the wifi point doesn't offer internet, then return to victron connect and you will notice that there are 2 listings for venus or cerbo, select the one that has an ip address under the bold type. When the venus/cerbo screen appears there should now be the option for remote console in the bottom right corner, click on that and then rotate your phone. First thing after that is to follow the manual and disable the password protection.

We set all our systems up like this that have no internet but do have a smart phone as it saves on the cost of another screen (touch)

2 |3000

Related Resources