question

punda avatar image
punda asked

Which GX device would you recommend? And LTE 4G, or router?

Hello,

I've tried reading up on the different GX devices, but I don't have the full overview. I'd like some input in regards to what others would choose.

My needs, in prioritized order, is to remotely:

- Open a relay to start the generator. This is an old yanmar diesel with a starter engine, so the relay needs to be open for a few seconds to connect the starter battery with the starter engine, and then the relay needs to close again.

- Turn on and off the inverter part of the Multiplus

- Turn on and off the charger part of the Multiplus

- Any BMS functionality is an added bonus, but not strictly needed

Which GX would you choose?

I don't have wifi with the system yet, so the next question is:

would you choose a victron LTE 4G to remotely operate this, or a standard 12v router?

cerbo gxCCGX Color Control4g
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Punda

There are so many options available in the GX range, I agree. It all depends on how far away from the inverter you would like to be to use the system and if you prefer a physical screen or interfacing with Victron Connect using your phone is ok for you, and if you really want to pay for internet or not.

If you don't want VRM access and remote monitoring, you can buy a VE Bus Bluetooth smart dongle for the basic on off charger choices. (no router or 4g needed). You can then use the Inverter to switch on the generator as needed based on conditions set. Or if you would like more control use the BMV Relay. (also using the app)

The generator start stop options are outline here.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
In my opinion Cerbo GX is currently the only GX device worth to buy.

The Venus has the same price but is slower, has less connections and no option for a display.
The CCGX is much slower and has less connections as the Venus.
The Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50 has the same price as the CCGX.

Maybe the Octo is an option if you have many VE.direct devices but for that I would also recommend a Cerbo and a USB-Hub.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

I would recommend the Cerbo and if you need an interface then get the Touch 50 screen for the Cerbo.
Cerbo is the latest unit and will most likely continue to be supported for the longest out of the GX's. The CCGX is probably going to be discontinued at some point as it's starting to show its age. The Venus is also basically the old version of the Cerbo.

2 |3000

punda avatar image
punda answered ·

Hello, thank you both for the input!

The system is an hour’s drive away, so I’ll definetely need a remote connection/4G. And using the Victron connect app is my preferred way anyway. If I choose a standard wifi router I can add more functions later, although I don’t currently need it. And seeing the price of the GX 4G Lte, it would really need to justify itself in terms of extra functionality and reliability.

The cerbo looks like a nice tool. But since the multiplus may solve the need for relay management, I might start with getting the multiplus online and see if that solves my need. But looking at the manual showing a picture of VE.Configure, I can’t see that it has the option for remotely activating the relay. Do you know?

Cheers, thanks!

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
To getting a MultiPlus online you'll need a GX device anyway.

A GX LTE will only bring a GX device online, you can't use it's internet connection for other things. So a dedicated 4G LTE router will be maybe the better solution.

There is currently no way to trigger the relays of the Multi remotely.

0 Likes 0 ·
punda avatar image punda Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Hello Matthias,

Thank you for the clarifications!

Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
gerrit avatar image
gerrit answered ·

I have the GX 4G LTE. It works for a while, and then loses the signal. I am in South Africa and we have constant rolling blackouts (hence the solar system). Unfortunately if the LTE network is disrupted. The GX 4G LTE does not refresh, so I have to physically pull out the power cable and re-insert it every week or so. It gets frustrating. For less than half the price, get a regular LTE router with a sim card, and plug it into the VENUS GX with a CAT 5 cable. I must say this unreliability of this device is infuriating after paying a lot under the assumption that victron is the best.

2 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Please consider the procedure outlined in 3.2.5 of the configuration section of the manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GX_LTE_4G/en/installation-and-configuration.html#UUID-9191c8f8-d8a5-d9f6-6fb4-2fe2aac472df

2 Likes 2 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
@Gerrit I haven't used it but there's a setting to restart your GX device automatically when you loose an Internet connection.

Fideri

0 Likes 0 ·
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

IMHO the normal Cerbo GX module is the best option in your needs, and for furture expansions.

Maybe you want to add extra sensors, or functions on to the Cerbo, then the GX is the best idea.

Next to this a normal 4G Mifi router with LAN port is also the best option, and also for the future.

Maybe you want to add an alarm, or a camera to the remote location, needing a 4G Mifi router.

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic