question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image

Solution to Cerbo GX Wi-Fi issue when having the GX Touch connected

Dear all,

This message is to inform about a Wi-Fi related problem in the Cerbo GX. Some Cerbo GX-es will not properly work on certain Wi-Fi networks when having a GX Touch display installed. If they do or not depends on the (channel of the) Wi-Fi network, and on how exactly an antenna cable inside the Cerbo GX ended up when manufactured.

Its obviously not good and I’m not happy with it, but it is what it is and you’re better off knowing all the details than not knowing them.

There are a few solutions, one is to simply send it back to your dealer; to have it repaired.

The other is to make the wifi network work on a one of a few specific channels; which don’t have the issue (details in the pdf)

And lastly, if you’re technical, you can fix it by opening the unit up and repositioning the antennas to make sure its cable is no longer close (or even touching) the hdmi connector or surrounding area.

Now, don’t get me wrong wrt the repair: you’re more than welcome to return it for repair. But still I chose to share the details of the repair as I can imagine that for some it will be the preferred option.

Lastly, my apologies! Especially to those who have spent a lot of time trying to find out why it wouldn’t connect to wifi.

And a big thank you to @WKirby who helped uncover the issue and even to find the solution. Warwick has been a great help in this.

All the best,

Matthijs Vader

Ps. All distributors and dealers have been informed about the issue via email.

2021-03 Cerbo GX Wi-Fi issues when combined with GX Touch - v2.pdf

cerbo gxwifitouch gx 50
3 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

I made the change on my Cerbo this morning with no problems at all (5 mins and done!). Channel 1 works great on Wifi with an external monitor in the HDMI (no GXTouch as yet).

Many Thanks @WKirby and the Victron team!!

Regards

Mark

PS: One request - when I installed the Cerbo I was worried that the unused ports on the top side would allow dust and dirt to enter the unit (the top ports are also where all the NB stuff gets connected). I found this to be the case when I opened the case. Initially I used some electrical tape to cover the unused ports but was then worried about airflow... I will mount the Cerbo on its side next time to mitigate this. I don't know if anyone else has the same concern?

Mark avatar image Mark Mark Maritz ·

Yes I had the same concern,so used silicone rj45 dust caps!...issue resolved

Went back to electric tape when I reinstalled today ;)

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Following those instructions, I made a short video to demonstrate the adjustment to the antenna wire.

You can watch the video here - https://vimeo.com/529155952

victron-cerbo-gx-wifi-repair-low.gif

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

waveform avatar image
waveform answered ·

This fix worked perfectly. Kudos to the customer who figured it out! Took all of 15 minutes. Just be careful removing glue not to scratch circuit board traces. And be careful with the little nubs and pins etc around the enclosure lid as it’s easy to pry against one and break them off.

My Cerbo and Touch 50 are now online, stable and working. My boat is 100’ away on my dock and connected to WiFi. Working as well as it was before the addition of the Touch 50 screwed it up.