question

mitchelln avatar image
mitchelln asked

Poor bluetooth connectivity with Orion-Tr Smart

Hi.

I've just installed an Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC charger to my camper van. It's installed under the bonnet along with my Victon SmartShunt and SmartSolar MPPT controller.

I can connect to the SmartShunt and MPPT from up to 2 metres away and inside the vehicle no problem. However, the Orion-Tr will only connect if my phone is literally about 20cm away from the device and even then it's unreliable. It will not connect from inside the vehicle at all.

Is there something wrong with my Orion-Tr? It's very disappointing that a premium product from a well respected company has this problem. Also a little disappointed that it does not support VE networking.

Hopefully there is a solution?

Thanks.

orion-tr smartBluetooth
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scoloc avatar image scoloc commented ·

I have the same issue with my newly installed Orion-Tri Smart DC-DC Charger. I love its functionality, but am disappointed with the bluetooth range. I installed it under the truck hood and can't connect from within the cab, perhaps a meter away. I understand the signal is restricted by the metal firewall, but I have no problem connecting to my 712 BVM and Mppt Controller from within the truck cab. Those victron devices are installed toward the rear of my slide in truck camper some 9 meters away and their signals must pass through the wooden battery box in the camper, the camper wall, and the metal rear of the cab to reach the same spot. The BVM has the strongest signal The MPPT signal is weaker but adequate, while the Orion Charger only shows at all inteermitently and can't connect at all from the cab. To connect, I have to stand outside the truck within a foot or of where its installed.

Not a huge deal for me because I can see the charger is working by monitoring the BVM. But I'm still disappointed I can't connect to it directly while on the road.

I suspect the weaker signal of the Orion-Tri Smart just something I will have to get over because it is what it is. Maybe its by design to limit drawdown of the starter battery when the alternator is not engaged? Still, I would be very interested if anyone has any thoughts about a work around, like some sort of 12 volt bluetooth repeater or something? I havn't found one that doesn't have to plug into some A/V port in the source device.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mitchelln avatar image
mitchelln answered ·

Just checking if this is purely a community forum, or do Victron actually participate and respond to issues here?

Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@mitchelln

Predominantly Volunteers

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/5889/new-victron-community-guidelines.html

1616157228179.png

That being said there are at times some replies from Victron Staff.

I have never used the Orion TR Smart so cannot comment on their bluetooth range.

I do have their smart mppts and the BT Dongle to smarten up a few products and have no issues can monitor from different rooms more than 12 meters away.

My bluetooth earphones don't even have that range.

0 Likes 0 ·
1616157228179.png (13.0 KiB)
mitchelln avatar image
mitchelln answered ·

Yes, this is why it is a surprise to me. My SmartSolar MPPT and SmartShunt both connect at good ranges, but the Orion does not. I would expect similar performance as I would assume they all the share same bluetooth tech.

It would be good to get official input from Victron about this. As it stands, I will have to return the Orion and go with a different brand, which would be a shame as the rest of my setup is all Victron.

2 |3000

Lee Baker avatar image
Lee Baker answered ·

I have the same issue, noticeably poor Bluetooth range on the Orion compared to other Victron Devices, It's s shame! also a shame no VE Connect on this device

2 |3000