question

szwuntex avatar image
szwuntex asked

Suitable charger

Hi.

I'm looking for a suitable charger for 4 110AH batteries (Victron BAT412101084) which are in a 24V group (220AH).
I also have a SmartSolar MPPT 75|15 connected to batteries.
The batteries are located in a boat as service batteries.
From time to time the batteries are also charged by a diesel engine via a battery isolator.

Can anyone recommend a suitable Victron charger?

battery chargingcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
szwuntex avatar image
szwuntex answered ·

I ended up buying a Victron Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger 24/25(1+1).
https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/phoenix-smart-ip43-charger

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

szwuntex avatar image
szwuntex answered ·

Could a BlueSmart IP22 Charger 24/16 be enough?
Or should I go with for example a Skylla-IP44 24V/30A?
Big difference in price.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

You would be working the ip22 charger hard if you had to charge up from flat to full. Assuming it will always be used with the other chargers and you aren't in the habit of draining your batteries it will be ok, 30A would be better, you can get two ip22 if you want to double the charge amps.

As oleta mentioned also the amount of time you need to charge up may also be a consideration here. 220AH will take a little over 7 hours at 30Amps to charge up fully.

Not sure how pricing works out on your end for that.

0 Likes 0 ·
szwuntex avatar image szwuntex Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thank you for your answer!
I thought that maybe a "to small" charger didn't recognize when a "too big" (Ah) battery is fully charged. So the only issue is charging time then.

I wasn't aware of the you could use 2 "smaller" chargers in parallel. Good to know.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic