question

fkfw avatar image
fkfw asked

Trying to enter PUK code - keypad does not allow letters to be entered

Starter battery in my VW camper died. Replaced battery and now my BMV712 gives me an error code telling me to enter my PUK code. My PUK code is alphanumeric - it contains numbers and letters. The keypad in the app doesn't allow me to enter letters - only numbers. How do I enter my PUK code if I can't enter letters? (iPhone XS, iOS 14.4)

VictronConnecterror
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fred Koontz avatar image Fred Koontz commented ·
I have the exact same problem. After spending an hour to get to the puk code I discovered the keypad does not have alpha chapters. I read the answers but can not find or see the three little dots. Super frustrated. Anyone else have trouble?
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fkfw avatar image fkfw commented ·

It took three tries, but it worked! Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Switch to alphanumeric input. If your phone can't, change the phone.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alphanumeric keypads appear everywhere else on the phone with the exception of the Victron app.

0 Likes 0 ·
airstreamin avatar image
airstreamin answered ·

When You open the Victron app and the device list appears, you’ll see 3 little dots to the right of the device name. Press those and a menu asks if you want to reset the PIN. Press that as if you were going to reset the PIN. Then a new window appears asking for the PUK code. The key pad the allows both numbers and letters. From their, change the PIN.

I wonder if Victron has any clue as to the misery they have caused with this change. A lot of us bought the Blue Tooth because this stuff is buried in Our RV’s. I remember nothing about having to write down the PUK code when I installed these a year ago. Now I have to dissemble half my solar charging system to get the PUK code off the 3 Victron components I own. I have better things to do. I’m not happy with them at all. I’m a big boy. I don’t need a nannie. I don’t need Victron to suck up my time just to use their products without my blessing. Grrrrrr.

3 comments
2 |3000

Thanks, airstreamin. Are you saying that the app will allow alphanumeric keypad access when the new window appears? (after the 3 dots, etc.)

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 fkfw commented ·

Did you not even try?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Airstreamin,

I am not sure what change you are talking about?

The PUK has always been required IF you set a custom PIN, AND then forget it.

What other way would you suggest for such a situation?

0 Likes 0 ·
fkfw avatar image
fkfw answered ·

It took three tries, but it finally worked! Thanks!

2 |3000

airstreamin avatar image
airstreamin answered ·

I agree if you set a custom PIN and forget it. That’s not the issue. I didn’t set a custom PIN. Now I have no choice. There was a firmware download a short time ago, and an app update too. I do know that after more than a year of easy and reliable connections, devices now sometimes don’t show up on the device list. When they do, I can’t connect to them, I have to enter PUK codes, etc. I’ve only uncovered the BMV712 PUK code as it isn’t buried too deeply and changed my PIN last Thursday. I had to go through it again today because it was back to 000000. The charger is forcing me to enter the PUK code even though the PIN is 000000. It won’t accept 000000. I never had these issues before. Yes, I’m frustrated.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows