question

snh avatar image
snh asked

Debian Packages

Hello

I'm keen to try and get an existing Raspberry Pi to interface with a SmartSolar MPPT unit and upload data to VRM.

I tried following the instructions at https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/install-venus-packages-on-Debian, but the Package repository mentioned doesn't appear to exist.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of the status of these packages? I'm keen to add these to an existing Raspberry Pi rather than use an Image, as I'd like to use the Raspberry Pi for a number of other things too.

Many thanks!

VRMMPPT SmartSolarVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, it took me a while, but I understand what happened now: while making v2.62, or v2.63, there was some issue in building the rpi/Debian packages.

And I then decided to disable them altogether; to make the release and not have bringing out fixes/features to the general userbase delayed by the rpi packages used only by a few.

see here:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/commit/b50d7445e017af89de1b16e9bf887cf590fb7256

so, conclusion: no such packages for now. But will be back most likely. Can take a few months, since I expect that v2.70 is the version that will bring them back

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snh avatar image snh commented ·

Ah, that'd explain it, thanks for investigating @mvader (Victron Energy).

Is there any possibility of getting access to the most recent build of these packages that succeeded? I'm just wanting to upload the data to VRM from a SmartSolar MPPT connected via VE.Direct, so suspect an older release would be fine for my needs for now until v2.70 is available.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ snh commented ·

I dont have them, sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
chrisryan43 avatar image chrisryan43 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Do you think that there is any chance that the packages will make a return as V2.70 has been and gone and it didnt appear so i'm assuming the chances are slim?
0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

I think Victron have changed package methodology.

Take a look at this link

Depending on your machine depends on which directory is used. I manually download the file to the device and then use the opkg command for installation.

You might find that you can use the command opkg to download from the Victron repository as an "opkg update" should contact Victron repository and get an updated list of available packages.

Hope these pointers help.

2 comments
2 |3000

snh avatar image snh commented ·

Hi @Bathnm, thank you for your reply. I got the impression these opkg packages were updated packages for those running the full Venus images, rather than packages you could load on to an existing non-Venus Debian or Rasbian installation? I could be misunderstanding though.

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm snh commented ·

Maybe you are correct. Only Victron can confirm if they are still building the Debian packages. It is probably a configuration option in the Openenbed system they use to build VenusOS.

0 Likes 0 ·