question

laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh asked

IDEA: Display AC loads "OFF" when in Charger only on VRM and Console

My Setup : MPPT, Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-30, Venus OS 2.6, RPI 3B+

(But in the case the RPi bit is irrelevant.)

Others have already noticed that they occasionally see phantom AC loads figures with no AC loads connected. In my case the MP Compact is currently in charger only mode so can't have any power going out to AC.

Would it be possible to display AC loads "OFF" on the VRM and Console to reflect the current setting on the Multiplus?

• For the VRM this would be an [OFF] box over the feed to the AC loads. Similar to the [Storage] box in the view below.
  • For the console it could be that the 0W is changed to "OFF" when AC out is disabled.

USE CASES:

1) On boats and RVs it would be far more easy to see the console than the state of the switch on the Multiplus (currently buried at the back of my electric cupboard).

2) You could easily check remotely - did I remember to switch of the AC output when I left the boat?

3) Easy for non technical people who use our boat to see why the fridge is not working!

4) No phantom AC load values

screenshot-2021-02-17-at-095158.png

VRMremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

@LaurenceH

In "Charger-only" mode the AC-IN is still passed trough to the AC-OUT so you can have AC load running at the output.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

laurenceh avatar image laurenceh commented ·

You are of course right - It had slipped my mind.

Though it does lead me to the use cases, how can I see either on the VRM, or remote console that I have indeed remembered to switch to charger only when I left the boat?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @LaurenceH

Not knocking your idea, but you may like the marine mfd app:

1613560762207.png

For a quick look at the important things it has most of what you might need. I haven't tested those 3 big buttons, as I then lose the kit I'm using to do it, but I think it would work..

Just type "venus.local/app/" into a browser. Access to Remote Console via LAN is there too..

1613560762207.png (237.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

laurenceh avatar image laurenceh commented ·

Thanks, yes I had heard of this.

I've written my own local Ajax API and UI for when I'm on the boat. My suggestion was as a general improvement to benefit everyone - especially those that don't tinker as I do.

Example D-bus data => Ajax code here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/48977/simple-jsonrestajax-interface-to-venus-d-bus-writt.html

If I understand correctly the marine mfd is only available locally, but not in the VRM (or via the VRM) ?

Laurence

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources