question

fenix avatar image
fenix asked

Adding a additonal SmartShunt .. will it show in the Raspberrypi

HI

I am looking to gather the data in my Home Assistant Dashboard for the Orion-TR smart 12-12 30AD c-DC I know that the data is fed with the Bluetooth but Victron don't give us the possibility to connect to I was thinking adding an additional Shut at the output of the DC-DC with the Ve-cable

- It this feasible?

- Will it disturb the overall electrical system?

- If yes, will the additional shut be displayed on the RaspberryPI 7 inch screen?

- If yes, will it be possible the get the information via the MQQT mapping

1611926586881.png

SmartShuntorion-tr smartRaspberry PiMQTThome assistant
1611926586881.png (463.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Fenix,

you can have more than one SmartShunt and it will show up on your GX device (Pi) on the device list as long as it's connected via a VE.Direct to USB adapter. Not disturbances in the electrical system.

Not 100% sure about MQTT mapping. That's something you need to try.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fenix avatar image fenix commented ·

@Stefanie ,,is it something you did?

if yes could you show the display of the GX device (pi)?

tks

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ fenix commented ·

I did this before, but currently have the SmartShunt not connected to the system. It works.

0 Likes 0 ·
fenix avatar image fenix Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

quick one.. what was your usage of the second Shunt in your case?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ fenix commented ·

On my old installation I wanted to monitor battery current for the starter battery.

0 Likes 0 ·

Just connected it to my test system. Here is how it looks like on the remote console:

bildschirmfoto-2021-01-29-um-151737.png

bildschirmfoto-2021-01-29-um-151837.png

It appears as a normal shunt just like the other, just not on the graphical overview. That belongs only to the main shunt, which in my case is the BMV-702.

0 Likes 0 ·
fenix avatar image fenix Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

tks you so much for your time

quick one.. what was your usage of the second Shunt in your case?

0 Likes 0 ·
friaras avatar image
friaras answered ·

I have 2 battery banks and both shunts show on the menu but not on the graphical overview, but if you log to the VRM portal you will see the data from the shunt. I would love to be able to see it on the overview to avoid having to log online to glance at it.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You can program SmartShunts (and possibly the BMV-712) as a "DC meter". Then under that you can select a device type. You should choose one of the charging sources like alternator or if nothing is appropriate choose the generic charger.

2 |3000