question

durangod avatar image
durangod asked

MPPT 100/30 not completing charge

I have the MPPT 100/30 feeding my 2 6V flooded wet lead acid batteries with a Magnum 1012 inverter. The system worked fine for 18 months and now this winter I'm not getting complete charge in days that it was charging to 100%. The system is in a cabin with infrequent use and temperatures are around 0-4C.

Day one: drew the batteries from 85%-69% and the next day they only recovered to 74% in full sun with 11.64V min. 13.59V max. 69% min.- 78% max. charge .....(Yield 770Wh, 244W, 43.51V)

Day two: drew the batteries from 78%-59% and the next day they only recovered to 74% in full sun with 11.55V. min. to 13.64Vmax. 59% min. to 70% max. charge..... (Yield 1.00kWh, 263W, 42.05V )

Day three: drew the batteries from 70%-54% we left that day with the batteries at 54%

With this trend the system will fail if we are there for a week and it does not closer to 100% recovery in a full sun day.

What do I check?

Why the change?

Thanks,

D

battery chargingmppt charging
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

How much PV power do you have installed?
The 244W and 263W are kind of meaningless without knowing what the maximum installed capacity is and therefore what sort of maximum PV power to expect.

0 Likes 0 ·
durangod avatar image durangod wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

I think we have 2 Kyocera 140 panels

0 Likes 0 ·
durangod avatar image durangod wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, sorry I'm struggling on how to navigate this site..... ddickov suggested the battery fluid - I will check but assume it is OK as I leveled it 2 months ago. Equalization is one thing I went to set in settings but got the firmware update message. My system is way... way off grid and I have no internet. I see nothing in the manual about how to update so I did not say OK to the message.

Does my phone app update the MPPT using bluetooth or do I have to get the system to wifi... not really possible.

Thanks,

D

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 durangod commented ·

The updated firmware is included in VictronConnect version you have in the phone.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

So with 2x 140W panels, the maximum power that you could hope for is 280W.
Your records show that you are getting reasonably close to full power at least once. This does not indicate any faults.

It's pretty difficult to know what so of yield you should expect at this time of year, it depends upon your location. Your records did show a yield of 1KWh, which is pretty reasonable, panels making full power for an average of 3-4 hours per day.
Do you have any shading?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

durangod avatar image
durangod answered ·

Thanks wkirby,

We do not have shading however the sun hits the panels at 8:45ish - 3:00 ish as it goes across the sky. There is likely some snow on them at the moment but during the days described above the panels were clear as was the sky.

My question base on the data that I was getting good input in my example is is there an adjustment in the victron to check or change that could help me get more power to the batteries?

For nearly 2 years (the life of the current batteries) we had no problem on the weekend trips and now it seems as something has changed (previous batteries lasted 8 years).

Thanks,

Dave

1 comment
2 |3000

durangod avatar image durangod commented ·

Thanks wkirby,

We do not have shading however the sun hits the panels at 8:45ish - 3:00 ish as it goes across the sky. There is likely some snow on them at the moment but during the days described above the panels were clear as was the sky.

My question base on the data that I was getting good input in my example is is there an adjustment in the victron to check or change that could help me get more power to the batteries?

For nearly 2 years (the life of the current batteries) we had no problem on the weekend trips and now it seems as something has changed (previous batteries lasted 8 years).

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes 0 ·
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi there could I ask if you have checked the levels in the batteries if not sealed type if the levels are ok could try an equalisation charge at the battery manufacturer recommended voltage.

Disturbs the acid in the batteries and breaks down any sulphate build up. Just maybe any idea as the mppts are very reliable, spotless solar panels also helps a good bit thanks david

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic