question

CrossFit 1 avatar image
CrossFit 1 asked

Suitable Generator Multiplus 3000/48

Hello Folks,

I have a 3.3 Kw system with Multiplus 3000/48, MPPT 150 and 8 Trojan SPRE255 batteries.

I hope this question hasn't been asked before. I am looking for a list of suitable generators to hook up to my system for cloudy days. My current generator (low quality, 1,5KW) does not charge the batteries, something is tripped and they don't charge.

Since there are countless generators out there and no reliable resource as to what I can couple with my Multi 3000, I am hoping to get some hints from you.

I have been eyeing the following generator, maybe someone has experience with this model?

https://ferramentas.pt/geradores/gerador-a-diesel/gerador-de-5-a-8-kva/gerador-diesel-p-paineis-solares-hyundai-dhy6600se-lrs.html

Thank you in advance, I appreciate hearing about hints or positive experiences with generators.

Best wishes,

Enrico

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerchargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @CrossFit 1

Generators are evil things, and there's no 'list' to reference that I'm aware of. And it's a brave person who'd recommend you one anyway.

But there is some help, and I suggest you have at least a trial attempt(s) at getting your existing one 'accepted' by the Multi. Run through this: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Generators can be quite 'personal' things too. I like the inverter type, but Victron don't really recommend them highly into a Multi, and many are too small. Elec start for me (pullcords always break on cold rainy nights), sizing is important, noise, cost, etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

I did this once using the available information and suggests a 5kVA gennie for a 3kVA inverter BUT you should read this thread: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/44483/inverter-vs-generator-size-extrapolation.html1611672965033.png

1611672965033.png (963.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

CrossFit 1 avatar image CrossFit 1 commented ·

Thanks Warwick!

0 Likes 0 ·
CrossFit 1 avatar image
CrossFit 1 answered ·

Thanks John, I'll retire my current genny to thew building site to power tools, so really lookjing for advice as to new models to use. I've had a read through this but am none the wiser as to which model I can effectively integrate into my system. I understand there are several 'moving parts' to this question but at the same time it is astounding that Victron cannot provide a clear and simple answer on this question, or am I missing something?

Greetings,

Enrico

1 comment
2 |3000

basil katakuzinos avatar image basil katakuzinos commented ·

Most generators do work as long as they are appropriately sized. Your local victron dealer may be able to help you find a unit they know works well.

Make sure the frequency and voltage are correct.

Use at least a 5Kva generator and set an input current limit on the inverter to not overload the generator. Also make sure the continuous rated output of the inverter is appropriate.

Turning on Accept wide frequency range may also help if the inverter is refusing to connect to the incoming generator. The weak AC setting may help also.

The UPS function may have to be disabled in the multi if the generator is producing a deformed sine wave. Dynamic current limiter can also be enabled if the generator struggles when loads are applied.

If you are experiencing any issues, disabling LOM Detection may help out as the inverter will not be trying to change the frequency of the grid constantly. (Just make sure you have a breaker that can open the connection between the inverter and generator as this may lead to a shock hazard if you work on the generator wires even if the generator is off)

0 Likes 0 ·