question

doclayton avatar image
doclayton asked

BMS 12/200 really 200?

Designing an all Victron Li system for my Sprinter van. I have a 220 amp alternator and while I know that I may not be able to use half that for charging my house system, I want to be able to use as much as the system will allow. So I got a BMS 12/200 thinking it would allow up to 200 amp charging. Now I see that the input (AB) is limited to 80Amps when using a 100 Amp fuse. That's still a lot, and maybe more realistic about what I can expect but still not 200. It seems installing a larger fuse would allow more, but elsewhere it says this is limited to 80 amps.

And nowhere do I see a table of fuses I can use on the LB side. I have the multiPlus 12/3000 and other loads on the LB side - I want to put a big old fuse in there but how big?

BMSfuses
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

safiery avatar image safiery commented ·

You can get 200A easily from the Sprinter primary alternator. We get close to 250A from the larger Sprinter alternator. For this level of replenishment power, we move to 48V for the Inverter charger and Lithium batteries. The Victron 48V 3000W inverter charger is 35% lower in price than the 12V because of smaller mosfets etc. So we use a 12-48V Bi-directional DC to DC eliminating the need for a 12V house battery. We are adding a completely Euro6 compliant software stack for the CANbus control of this DC to DC so it need only operate when vehicle is in cruise or region mode saving fuel.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
marc-de-montreal avatar image
marc-de-montreal answered ·

hi, a normal use of fuse is the max rated current x 1.5 factor.. also it’s not a good idea to charge more than 0.5C (half capacity).. 1C discharge is allowed but not too often.. the battery will heat a lot and the bms temperature protection can disconnect the battery.. are you sure to use your batt at the max charge/discharge capacity?!?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

doclayton avatar image
doclayton answered ·

I have a fully Victron system that I'm putting together. Sprinter Van w/ a 280 Amp alternator and large solar array (525 Watts nominal).

BMS 12/200

Color Control CCGX

Lynx distributor going out and a regular distributor attaching the 4 batteries in Parallel

MPPT 100/50 solar controller

MultiPlus 12/3000 inverter/charger - with no anticipated big loads

500A smart shunt between the batteries and the rest of the system

and Four Victron LiFePO4 12V 100Ah

I don't think the alternator is going to give even close to 200 Amps to the system but was curious about what was possible. And safe. I think the BMS will monitor battery temp and throttle me down if needed.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic