question

Nicholas Herbst avatar image
Nicholas Herbst asked

#1 Device switched off

Hi All

Looking for some brainy Victron experts to help me with a problem installation. (Background: I work for a company that installs alternative power systems and we install 5-6 systems a month, predominantly using Victron Energy equipment)

The setup:

3 x Quattro 15kVA in an off-grid application using AC & DC-coupled solar on a Pylontech battery bank.
4 x Victron SmartSolar 250/100 Solar Charge Controllers
1 x Fronius Symo 15.0 AC coupled PV inverter
12 x Pylontech US3000 Lithium Batteries
Victron Cerbo GX with Touch Display

Setup: Off-Grid with a generator (80kVA)
PV Inverter Support Assistant installed

I get sporadic occurrences of notification #1 Device Switched Off, where the Phase 1 master inverter simply switches off.

What I have tried:
1. I have updated to firmware version 476 and replaced all VE.BUS cables with Victron supplied cables.
2. I have also tried replacing the phase L1 master inverter with a new Victron Quattro 15kVA Inverter.
3. I have tried to analyse all the available data on VRM, but I cannot see any drop in DC bus voltage, an overload from AC output or excessive generation from the Fronius PV.

When it occurs, all of the LED's on the Phase L1 Master simply go out, and the other two inverters present an LED sequence indicating that they are missing (not detecting) the master.

30s later the Phase L1 master restarts and the 3 inverters begin inverting again. No alarm in the VRM alarm logs. Only a notification on the Victron Cerbo GX indicating #1 device has switched off.

Would really appreciate some help.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargeroffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

I have/had similar "#1Device switched off" errors.

I found out that it happens when grid failure is very short.

It is "noticed" by the Vctron hardware and system switching to "inverter" mode.

When in "inverter" mode it needs battery's BMS to allow discharge.

In my system BMS did not allow discharge below 5C and system would switch off with "#1Device switched off" error.

You do not see this in the alarm log because it is to short for the software to notice it.

It takes 30 second to go back up, because there probably is a hardware minimum 30 seconds for recovery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bulraydin avatar image bulraydin commented ·
We recently had the same problem, similar setup : 3 x 15kVA Quattro, Fronius , chargers and Pylontech batteries. The battery level was at 10%, discharge was disabled. the device switched off suddenly. no warning no error. we resetted it back , working now.

If the discharge disabled and the short grid loss caused this problem, then we should never allow the ESS to drop the batteries to "discharge disabled" state , right ? I have set the lowest level at 15% now.

Thanks for comments.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthew Walsh avatar image
Matthew Walsh answered ·

@Nicholas Herbst did you find a solution to this error? What time of the day is this occurring?

2 |3000

jbsnyma avatar image
jbsnyma answered ·

#1 Device switched off, any help to narrow down the fault.

2 |3000

eminence avatar image
eminence answered ·

Just wondering whether this was solved, I have the same issue exactly.

3 phase system,

No PV system, only Generator,

Can't see a drop in ac voltage on VRM, we end up losing an IT rack as the battery pack is slightly too slow to connect, the system works perfectly when dropping the breaker.

Any advice applicated.

2 |3000