question

Martin Gasthuber avatar image
Martin Gasthuber asked

Inverter/Charger selection for pure Off-Grid/MicroGrid/Island setup

Hi,

i plan to move to a complete decoupling to the public grid (microgrid/off-grid/island) in a 3-phase configuration. The basic power and battery requirements are known and i could use the Multiplus 48/5000 or the Multiplus II 48/5000 or the Quattro 48/5000 - but which of them is best suited in this mode ? Any special feature at the AC-In line does not matter (there is no public grid) any PV and other genset are connected to the AC-out. Running ESS configs in the past with both Multiplus variants shows that the MultiplusII fans are more or less always running which was not the case with the Multiplus - which is not critical but worth mentioning. Because both Multiplus variants are still on sale, i'm curious to understand the pros and cons for my planned off-grid configuration. Any advise/comment/experience ?

best regards,

Martin

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargeroffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
tilo avatar image
tilo answered ·

Multiplus and Quattro have 10kW overload capacity, versus the 9kW of the Multiplus-II.

If you do not have 2 generators at AC In, you can use the lower priced Multiplus instead of the Quattro.

The Multiplus-II has only one board inside, versus 3 boards of the Multiplus and Quattro. If you need a spare part, it might be easiear/cheaper to repair a Multiplus/Quattro than a MP-II.

My recommendation: Use the Multiplus.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Martin Gasthuber avatar image Martin Gasthuber commented ·

Hi Tilo,

the argument concerning the spare parts is interesting - although i do not know how long Victron have already committed to have spare parts ;-) Did you know of any differrences between MP and MPII concerning the battery aspect ? Recently i already have upgraded the battery to a BYD LVL15.6 (two of them) and run these with a single MPII in ESS mode - no problems so far. Should i expect the same by using the MP instead of the MPII ? For me it looks a bit obscure that both systems are still produced - there must be a reason for that !

best regards,

Martin

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image alan Martin Gasthuber commented ·

The MPII was developed to meet the Grid code standards in various countries.

some like Australia are a little over cautious. The multiplus isn't allowed to be connected to feed in without an anti-islanding relay.

0 Likes 0 ·