question

jhon avatar image
jhon asked

Connecting 2 x Phoenix 12/1200 inverters in parallel

i am writing to you about 2 x 12/1200 Phoenix inverters I wish to connect in parallel. One unit was purchased a few years ago and the second recently. I understand I need to update the firmware on one or both of the units before using the Victron configure software to connect the units in parallel using a Windows PC.

The first and older unit is presently running firmware version 2607154 VFD (HQ1524FDJRP) which I believe can be updated to the later firmware version which will allow it to pair with the newer unit which I intend to make the LEAD in the new installation.

The Lead inverter is running firm ware version 2607430 VFD (HQ 1841X7PK5)

I have successfully downloaded the Victron configure software including VE Flash and the necessary driver for the MK3 USB interface cable and have separately established connections between the 2 inverters and my PC running Windows 7.

I have also created a free Victron professional account on line and have checked the firmware available for the 12/1200 Phoenix inverters and have downloaded and stored the file on my computer.

I would assume that if I am following the correct procedure the firmware file I require is the one I have selected from the directory

Phoenix Inverter 12V 1200VA 230Vac 64k

phoenix_inverter_A271_v0x.xx.dup

If I also understand correctly the latest 400 version firmware installed on the Lead inverter will be compatible with the newer downloaded firmware version once installed on the Slave or number#2 inverter.

If you could kindly advise that i am on the right track and if I have overlooked anything before i proceed further it would be greatly appreciated

many thanks for any advice

Phoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhon avatar image jhon commented ·

Just an update on my Phoenix inverter parallel connection project. I proceeded to attempt to initialise a firmware update on the older 12 v/1200 watt inverter using VE Flash and was rewarded with an error message regarding a corrupt file . The firmware file was the one i downloaded from https://professional.victronenergy.com/........... select firmware I had selected a file from Phoenix Inverter VE.Direct directory

Whereas it turns out i needed to select the file from VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros) directory.

It was necessary to find a firmware update which had the same first 4 digits as the firmware already installed on the inverter, in my case 2607154 VFD which i was able to update to one of the newer 400 versions , in my case 2607478

The second and newer inverter was running firmware version 2607430 VFD which i was also able to change to the 478 version . This may not have been necessary as i read somewhere the newer 400 version firmware programs are compatible with all other 400 versions but it was a straight forward action so i proceeded to install the same firmware on both units using VE FLASH.

I was then able to connect the 2 inverters in parallel using VE.Bus quick configure which enables users to connect up to 3 units. I was warned to save my settings on both units before installing the new firmware which i did using VE Configure 3.

The only thing i am struggling with now is how to access the settings on either or both inverters. I received a message from VE.Bus quick connect that i would be able to do this using VE configure 3 , but as yet i am still having troubles accessing this function but having said this both inverters are both performing well now 4 days in . I understand that all settings reverted to factory default on firmware update so I’m not too concerned at this stage but will update on this situation shortly.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
jhon avatar image
jhon answered ·

Just an update on my Phoenix inverter parallel connection project. I proceeded to attempt to initialise a firmware update on the older 12 v/1200 watt inverter using VE Flash and was rewarded with an error message regarding a corrupt file . The firmware file was the one i downloaded from https://professional.victronenergy.com/........... select firmware I had selected a file from Phoenix Inverter VE.Direct directory

Whereas it turns out i needed to select the file from VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros) directory.

It was necessary to find a firmware update which had the same first 4 digits as the firmware already installed on the inverter, in my case2607154 VFD which i was able to update to one of the newer 400 versions , in my case 2607478

The second and newer inverter was running firmware version 2607430 VFD which i was also able to change to the 478 version . This may not have been necessary as i read somewhere the newer 400 version firmware programs are compatible with all other 400 versions but it was a straight forward action so i proceeded to install the same firmware on both units using VE FLASH.

I was then able to connect the 2 inverters in parallel using VE.Bus quick configure which enables users to connect up to 3 units. I was warned to save my settings on both units before installing the new firmware which i did using VE Configure 3.

The only thing i am struggling with now is how to access the settings on either or both inverters. I received a message from VE.Bus quick connect that i would be able to do this using VE configure 3 , but as yet i am still having troubles accessing this function but having said this both inverters are both performing well now 4 days in . I understand that all settings reverted to factory default on firmware update so I’m not too concerned at this stage but will update on this situation shortly.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhon avatar image jhon Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Guy, will check it out , cheers jhon

0 Likes 0 ·
gonzalor avatar image
gonzalor answered ·

HI @jhon did you solve your problem?. I have 2 phoenix compact 24/2000 and I want to use in parallel too. You have some manual for begginers?. thank you

2 |3000

oba87 avatar image
oba87 answered ·

According to customer support this is not possible.

QUESTION
I have found a couple of forums online stating that these Phoenix inverters can be wired in parallel with some programming, however the use manual does not mention anything of the sort.
1. Is this true
2. If so, could you provide information about how to do this
3. Can the inverters be ran independently to save energy. For example I just want to use a low power device and turn on 1 inverter for that, then to use induction cooktop and power on both the the added wattage? Please advice.

ANSWER
Answer is No.

2 |3000