question

jw1971 avatar image

How to disconnect battery in an emergency when using Lynx power system?

I am planning a setup to use a Lynx Distributor for batter input, then Lynx Shunt, and another Lynx Distributor to the loads. Management will be a Cerbo.

Question: In such a configuration what are people doing for emergency battery disconnect switching?

lynx shunt
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I wrote a longer answer, but it was rejected (I had some links in it with examples).

Instead of Lynx Distributor, use a Lynx Power In (or nothing for a single battery).

Then use a NH switch fuse disconnector for the positive cable from the battery (with a short as possible cable from the battery to the NH fuse).

Also, you can skip the Lynx Shunt and use a cheaper SmartShunt instead (some DIY required).

3 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I was hoping on using the same system and had this same question!

Would the main difference between the smart shunt and the lynx shunt be the freedom to disconnect loads as you have described? John C suggested the Smart shunt to me as well and I was just going to weigh the pros and cons. Im a sucker for the clean install of the lynx system.

Take a look here for details (if you haven't already).

Disconnecting loads have nothing to do with Lynx Shunt or SmartShunt.

Lynx Shunt would be installed between two Lynx Distributors or between a Lynx Distributor and a Lynx Power In or just with one Lynx Distributor when having a single battery.

Same with a SmartShunt, but in this case you would need to do some DIY work and won't look as nice. You can also DIY the entire busbar part (and no loger get a Lynx Disttributor/Lynx Power In).

SmartShunt uses VE.Direct for the connecting cable to the GX device and has Bluetooth.

Lynx Shunt uses VE.Can for the connecting cable to the GX device.

The SmartShunt is much cheaper than Lynx Shunt.

Thanks!

So far i am only in the planning stage so I have some freedom to make all the changes. I'm going to look into somehow using the lynx system but incorporating some custom buss work and battery protect or cyrix between the shunt and the distribution.

Cheers