question

econger avatar image
econger asked

Battery disconnect switch

I’m upgrading my camper van with new Victron components (Multiplus II 3000, Lynx Distributer, Lynx Smart Shunt, Cerbo gx, Solar Controller, two Orion b2b Chargers) as well as 3-280ah lithium batteries with internal BMS. I’m also contemplating a Lynx Power In to connect the batteries. I had originally planned on a positive and negative bus bar, connecting all the batteries in parallel (12v system BTW). Then I would insert a main battery switch between the batteries and the Lynx shunt on the pos side. I’ve seen many schematics using the Lynx Power in with batteries connected directly to it with no main switch (fuses at the battery post). Using the Lynx Power In is neat and clean and I understand the Cerbo gx can do a soft disconnect (not confirmed), but if I really need the battery switch and maybe three of them, then I’m not sure the Lynx In makes sense. If anyone can help me understand the right approach, I’d appreciate it.

lynx shuntlynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

if you are asking which is more robust, a soft switch or mechanical switch, a proper battery disconnect switch would be the better choice.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

econger avatar image econger commented ·
Understood. I pretty much came to the same conclusion. The only time I disconnect the battery is when I’m at home and I shut down the 12v refrigerator, otherwise they’re always on. I primarily boondock. I guess I was hoping I was missing something. Thanks for your response.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The Lynx Smart BMS has a contactor in that can be used by the Cerbo but the Lynx Smart Shunt does not. The only soft shutdown you will have is your battery BMS if they have Bluetooth.

1 comment
2 |3000

econger avatar image econger commented ·

My batteries are Bluetooth and i had thought about that. I think I’ll opt for a manual switch. Thanks for your response.

0 Likes 0 ·