question

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis asked

hey all, cant get ve bus to appear/be detected

hey all, i have finished physically setting up my system. it is all victron with lifeblue batteries. ive updated firmware on color control gx, and quattro inverter. i have not been able to see, upgrade, update, or even detect the ve bus/shunt. no idea what to do, and my saleman/electric engineer at amsolar is stumped.

lynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

13 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, Are we talking about the lynx shunt Ve.Can ?, that can be updated by the VRM website if needed. (if you have lynx shunt Ve.Net i have bad news for you as that one cannot work with the CCGX)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

thank you for getting back to me so quickly! the weird thing is, it has never showed up under my device list(main list). it shows up in weird spots, like under system settings, it says the quattro is connected via ve bus. however, that is as much detecting as i am getting. i have the lynx distributor and lynx shunt 1000a., under my device list on vrm, i have gateway(ccgx), ve bus system(pictured as quattro), and solar charger.

2 |3000

Ah sorry, is misread your question apparently.

The Ve Bus data is coming from the Quattro/Multi and is shown in the device list on the Venus device. This Ve Bus firmware can only be updated when connected directly to a computer. (Ve flash program).

2 |3000

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

so do i connect my pc via mk3 cable directly to the front of the shunt? i have veflash and used it to update my inverter, but cannot find the ve bus firmware anywhere. thank you so much for the help!

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

There is still some confusion here.

The lynx shunt 1000A is connected to the VECan ports of the CCGX. These are different and seperate or the VEbus ports that you have connected the Quattro to.

Though they use the same RJ45 plug type.

It will not work connecting to the MK3. Once it is connected to the correct CCGX port, it should appear and can then be updated by remote firmware update in VRM (if necessary).

2 |3000

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

i have the color control connected to the front of the shunt through the can port. i was asking if the mk3 cable is what i use to upgrade the firmware of the shunt.

2 |3000

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

here is a diagram from amsolar of my system

2 |3000

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

a quick description of what is happening. i can use power from my batteries, that is no problem. the color control shows me that im using power, coming from batteries to inverter. there are no LEDs lit up on the ve can at all. there were LEDs lit up, until i put the 800 amp cnn fuse in. i put the fuse in, turned the switch to on, and there havent been any LEDs since. there is no percentage of battery visible. everything in the photo is exactly how i have it hooked up right now. thank you!

2 |3000

Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

I have some questions:

• Are the LEDs on the lynx distributor lit up?
  • Can you check the polarity of the voltage at the input of the Lynx shunt?
  • Can you post a photo of the inside of the lynx shunt?

2 |3000

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

the led are not lit up at all on the lynx shunt or distributors. they were lit up until the 800 amp cnn fuse went in. what do you mean check the polarity? thanks!

2 |3000

seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

the shunt

shunt.jpg (1.6 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Nothing to do with your problems, but:

-it seems you have washers between the fuse and the busbars, this gives extra resistance, the washers should be all between the nut and the fuse.

0 Likes 0 ·
seanstagis avatar image
seanstagis answered ·

any ideas? i really need to get this working asap, i have very little power at the moment. please, and thank you for any ideas

2 |3000

Hello,

Please have the Lynx Shunt connected to the battery and have the CAN cable in the CCGX Ve Can slot. On the empty CAN sockets you please the terminators. Have the CAN parameters in the CCGX at the correct data speed for the Lynx Shunt , Restart the CCGX and see if the Lynx Shunt appears in the device list of the CCGX. If not, set the unit might be having a hardware issue and should be returned to the dealer for further testing.

PS little power at the moment? the rest of the system works as it should i expect?, you miss the SOC reading but no other things aren't working is there?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic