question

aeneby avatar image
aeneby asked

Venus GX relay specifications (max voltage, current, etc)

I'm wanting to use one of the relays on my Venus GX to switch on/off a 24V pump, and just wondering how this relay is intended to be used. Is the relay meant to be used for switching the current to the pump directly? If so, what is the maximum voltage/current these relays can handle? I could not find any info online.

The other option, I suppose, is that the relay is designed to provide a "sense" current only, and the actual switching of the pump to be performed by a heavier duty mechanism. Is anyone able to clarify?

Cheers!

Venus GX - VGXRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

That should absolutely be clear that this relay is just a control relay and not for directly power supply a pump regardless of specifications.

VENUS GX DATASHEET: IO => NO/COM/NC – 6 A 250 VAC/30 VDC

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

While not in the specification, I have also got the OK from Reinout at Victron that you can use the VGX relay at 48V to control a contactor as well. Maximum 1A at 48V.

1 Like 1 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

and don't forget the (flyback?) diode over the contacter coil!

0 Likes 0 ·
aeneby avatar image aeneby commented ·

I'm curious as to where you got that information from, I can't find anything online. Do you have a source? I'm specifically interested in the maximum reverse voltage for the relays in the Venus GX, so I can size protection circuitry correctly.

Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Aeneby,

In a similar way to this other community question about the BMV relay, if you can tell me exactly what parameters you require, I can find out for you.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/2450/we-can-not-find-any-detailed-electrical-specificat.html

0 Likes 0 ·
aeneby avatar image aeneby Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Guy

A full spec sheet would be awesome :) although for now all I'm really interested in is the maximum reverse voltage. This is for sizing the correct components to protect against back EMF from inductive loads (*not* running directly off the relay, but still part of the same circuit).

Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·

I heard back, 60V.

0 Likes 0 ·
aeneby avatar image aeneby Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Higher than I expected, thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ralf Klüber avatar image
Ralf Klüber answered ·

Hello,

I have planned to run a raspberry pi next to the venus GX in my RV. I am running the pi on 12V with a hat which has a step-down and a USV included. If you pull the 12V off it safely shuts down the pi. It runs well below 1A at 5V.

I would like to start/stop the pi remotely with relay 1 of the Venus.

Am I right to assume running a raspberry pi 3B+ behind the relay works?

Regards Ralf

2 |3000

udo229 avatar image
udo229 answered ·

The relay in the Venus gx is specified for 230v AC operation. I have an Octo and would like to §witch a 230v relay with 230v ac. because there is no really spec- sheet I like to know whether the relay in the Octo could be safely used with 230 volts AC

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

I would not like to put 230V up that connector. From the photographs it's easy to see that there are no PCB isolation slots or enough track separation for high Voltages like that.

The relay contacts on the Venus devices are intended for signalling purposes or driving low Voltage coils of larger relays.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page