question

casper avatar image
casper asked

Enabling solenoid valve with Venus GX and excess PV power

Hi,

I have a Venus GX and would like to utilize relay 1 to enable a solenoid valve to turn on my well pump at times when I am generating too much energy with my PV array:

https://www.hunterindustries.com/en-metric/irrigation-product/valves/1-pgv-pgv-jar-top

I have set the relay parameters to open when the AC consumption of my Multiplus II is less than 50W for 5 minutes continuously (i.e. when you know that it is a sunny day and my batteries are full).

I have been running these settings for a few days now and it changes the relay at the correct time. When I connect the solenoid to the relay however it does not energise the solenoid. I am already using a number of these solenoids elsewhere and I know that the continuous current to keep them energised is around 300mA at 24VAC. I assume that this relay should be able to cope with these types of solenoids?

Cheers

Multiplus-IIMPPT ControllersVenus GX - VGXRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

I haven’t tried either the relays nor this solenoid valve before but I note that they are 24VAC by default and you may need an additional option for DC operation :

• DC-latching solenoid for battery-powered controllers (P/N 458200)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.